3 Guesses, First 2 Don't Count...

There's a blog hop over at Lexa Cain's that asks people to talk about their dream destination...





Yeah, so is anyone out there shocked Japan is mine?  Didn't think so.


My intro to Japan started the way most Gen X-er's did. Anime. Though my first anime was not as well known in the US as the ones most people my age connected with, it's widely popular in Japan (I swear I'm not trying to be hipster about it - in fact if more US folks discovered this old school gem, I'd love it!). The main character's design is reminiscent of Snow White - if Snow had to dress as a boy and kick some ass sword fighting!


Princess Sapphire kicked royal butt back in the day when competent girl fighters were rare


One of the places I'd have to visit in Japan is the Osamu Tesuka animation museum, as he is the creator of Princess Knight (Japanese title: Ribon No Kishi) and is generally known as father of modern anime and manga, because so much of the style of anime derives directly from his work.

I also need to pay homage to a modern master of the art and visit the Ghibli Museum. For those not familiar, Hayao Miyazaki is a co-founder of Studio Ghibli and director of some of my all time favorite movies.

If you haven't seen Spirited Away, do it now!!!


Some time needs to be spent in Osaka. This city is known for it's culinary delights. A famous expression says that citizen of Kyoto will ruin themselves through extravagance in clothing while those from Osaka will ruin themselves though food.


I'm not a baseball fan, but I've adopted the Hanshin Tigers out of Osaka because of my desire to visit the city. Plus their fight song rocks.

I'd love to soak up some older culture and history of Japan as well, so Kyoto is a must. The tea school I belong to, Urasenke, is based out of Kyoto. Also I'd love to catch a performance of traditional Japanese performance arts there.


Speaking of Japanese arts, I want to visit sites sacred to Benzaiten, Goddess of the Arts and a Lady I have high regard for. There are several sites sacred to Her but the one I want to visit the most is in Enoshima, where one of Her most famous legends takes place (Her taming a dragon).


I was thrilled when I discovered this song about Benzaiten by Blackmoore's Night



So where would you go if you could go anywhere?

24 comments:

  1. Oh yes! And absolutely with you on visiting Studio Ghibli! The Japanese also love and respect dolls, another reason for me wanting to go. You book the flights, I'll meet you at the airport!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to take in a Doll's Day celebration in Japan at some point in time. I just picked up a book on traditional sweets served for tea during that season. It's pictures and descriptions only, not recipes, but I think I need to track those down!

      Delete
  2. You already know where I want to go.

    I so hope I get to read all the stuff you will write after you go to Japan. I have a feeling it will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably have tons to write about it, after I stop bouncing in excitement!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for all the details about Japan. I listened to the soundtrack of Spirited Away - it was gorgeous! The movie must really be something, and I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks so much for joining the hop.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soundtrack is one of my favorite CDs ever. Spirited Away is definitely worth seeking out when you get a chance. Thanks for hosting the blog hop! :)

      Delete
  4. What a great choice! Now I want to go to Japan too after reading your post. Thanks for joining the hop, it's great to meet you.
    From a fellow Gen-Xer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is an especially fun sort of hop as you can really get a feel for the uniqueness of all the countries picked. Looking forward to reading yours!

      Delete
  5. Japan's a great choice, and it sounds like you've got plenty of reasons for picking it. My brother was stationed there for quite a while before he retired from the Marines, and he loved the country, the people, and the food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, he must have some really great memories of the place! I'm excited to make memories there too someday.

      Delete
  6. You've definitely thought this through! I bet you would have a spectacular vacation to Japan.

    The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been planning this for awhile now :)

      Delete
  7. I love the traditional Japan. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've slowly fallen in love with it too. I'm very excited that I will be getting a lesson on how to properly wear a kimono in January (it isn't as easy as it looks!)

      Delete
  8. Kyoto is on my list of places I want to visit. Such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures I've seen are gorgeous. LOL, I realized too late that my post for the blog hop lacked lovely pictures.

      Delete
  9. Nice choices. I have always wanted to go to Japan. For me, it is the nature that really inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see Fuji-sama some day, hopefully up close while hiking on it. I love the Japanese view on nature as well.

      Delete
  10. I've been to Japan and it is amazing! Such a crazy fusion of the traditional and the futuristic! I hope you make it there. I know you'd love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mishmash of tori gates and technology is one of the fun things I love about Japan.

      Delete
  11. I'd love to visit Japan. Of all the countries in Asia, that's probably be my first pick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to get the chance to visit other countries there too. My hubby spent some time in China a while back and has piqued my interest in visiting there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Compelling reasons for this to be a great destination =) My husband wants to go here too (Final Fantasy lover).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and son used to play those awhile back. They looked so cool, but I never had the time for them. LOL

      Delete