Hipster's Darling

I made grown men quake,
far from home and at the mercy
of the deep blue unknown.

Today their descendants sip lattes,
waxing their mustaches
as they tenderize my tentacles.
Megafauna made micro
to blend into a background.

The background is moving to the fore
and my domain sips away at theirs -
another thing they tried to sanitize, then forget,
until it was part of the wallpaper.

“Release the kraken,” they say.
Release me –
and then I’ll remind you
what happens when things you try to forget

remember themselves.


This poem was inspired by a prompt given at Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads, Fashion Me Your Words - To A Megafauna 


30 comments:

  1. Good heavens, this is insanely good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes.. the megafauna can be minuscule... love the view on this, but beware of the kraken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! LOVE this, especially the closing lines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will remember "release the kraken" and continue wondering at your poem's fascinating end -- a great read! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having fun contemplating where it goes from here too.

      Delete
  5. " Release me –
    and then I’ll remind you
    what happens when things you try to forget

    remember themselves."

    you've ended on a note surely we will remember for a long time

    Thanks for your response

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this - 'megafauna made micro' is a magical line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last 5 lines are deep and full of promised threat. Beyond awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's right -- the kraken shall rise again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you don't develop this poem into a story, I promise to beat you until you do. With a lot of love, but I will still beat you until you write it out. I mean, that last line is a freaking promise: The Kraken must have her day!

    Love it, Rommy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she belongs in the Yuukiverse someday.

      Delete
  10. Great ending! Appreciate this

    ReplyDelete
  11. Old now, ancient. Another world has come, yet we still linger on, in part, in different ways and forms. Now what?
    Nice writing, Rommy. BTW, I also sense a control issue, unresolved here.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the kraken has quit a few things she'd like under her control :D

      Delete
  12. Don't mess with the Kraken (which was the first draft title to "Don't Fear the Reaper). I loved the fun, playful danger of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that wouldn't have been a bad song choice for this poem

      Delete