Unnatural Wound

Sophia’s skin pulled tighter over her shoulders and the first tears formed along either side of her spine. It was time. She threw off her pajamas and climbed onto the tree outside her window, making her way to the limb that would give her back the most exposure to the full moon’s light. Finding the branch that held her teeth marks from full moons past, she bit down. Her emerging wings pushed through, widening the tears into gashes. She bit down harder, until a pair of amethyst colored wings fully unfurled themselves.

Relaxing her jaw, Sophia pulled her mouth away from the branch and rested. She opened and closed her wings slowly and let them drink in healing moonlight while her heightened senses picked up the perfume of every flower in her backyard. Once her wings were strong enough, she pushed away from the branches and flew.

Sophia soared over her street, the feel of the wind on her skin wiping away any lingering aches she had. She flew high enough to take in most of her small town in a glance. Her high school was easy to get to, but Sophia decided she didn’t want to waste her time on pranks again. Tonight she wanted to spend every moment in the air. So she did, flying until the moon had gone down behind the hills of the next town over.

Her grin disappeared as soon as her feet touched down at home. Sophia ran her fingers along the edge of a wing. The longest she had kept them was three days, when her parents were away. But tomorrow was a school day. And they grew back every month. So she went to the shed, just as she always did, and grabbed garden sheers to cut her wings off in small enough pieces to bury them in the compost bin. 


This short story is part of Magaly Guerrero's and Emily Yardis' Beautiful Freak Fest 2017. Follow the link to meet some more beautifully freaky fun.


34 comments:

  1. It's sad when she had to cut her wings off. Some day she won't have to do that any more, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To many unnecessarily cut their wings instead of the soul given right to soar to the hearts content. This is beautiful, your blog header is a great visual to the story.
    http://gypsyspiritrising.blogspot.com/2017/06/beautiful-freaks-fest-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blog header is the glorious work of Sunshine Shelle and I'm grateful everyday that she let me show off her beautiful work.

      Delete
  3. I like the story. I think I went to school with her long ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so incredibly poignant!! I clutched my heart near the end while she cut off her wings. Sigh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is when my full wickedness as a writer comes to bear. Yes, it was terribly sad writing the ending, but I am delighted that it had such an emotional punch. I am awful that way. :D

      Delete
  5. My heart was flying and then it broke in dutifully-cut pieces. Such painful beauty. I love the details more than anything, the things that aren't said. For example, the fact that even during the pain of her lost, Sophia doesn't waste anything. She gives back to the earth, to the universe that has blessed her... even if those around her (or, at least, the way she interprets their reactions) make the whole thing feel like a curse.

    Beautiful. Freakish. Devastating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got all the symbolism I put in! *happy dance*

      Delete
  6. It's so sad to have to cut off her beautiful wings and to hide her true self that way. My heart aches for Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to write in such a way that elicited that response.

      Delete
  7. The sheer joy of her flight, the agony she felt as the wings broke through, the devastation of the necessary deed to keep her secret and her safety. This was so full of emotion for me! It was really visceral for me. Wonderful story! Shall we see her again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a lot of emotion in a wee story. I'm rather pleased with myself. :D I think so. I just want to be sure it does Sophia justice.

      Delete
  8. You captured my soul immediately , I felt a strong affinity with Sophia right away...so beautifully written..love all of the visual imagery conjured in my mind!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first I was sad when Sophia cut off her wings. Then I realized she saw something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many ways this small story can be seen, and I'm very glad about that.

      Delete
  10. Oh, my... what a devastatingly poignant ending...

    Such a beautiful, sad tale! Perfect for gay pride month. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen that aspect when I wrote it, but yeah, that completely works.

      Delete
  11. I hope Sophia's wings would grow again, so she can continue to soar. Beautifully written piece, Rommy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh WOW! Sad and happy all smooshed together...how many off us would hide that beautiful secret for fear of reprisals???? Fabulous creation XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To hide something so beautiful that clearly brings so much joy, despite the pain...it is tragic.

      Delete
  13. So many feels right now. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! I'm thrilled I could conjure the feels

      Delete
  14. A whirlwind of emotion in such a beautifully written tale ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I soared... Then I fell back to earth at the realisation it was not acceptable, the beauty, the happiness, it had to be secretly destroyed, obliterated least others see and do not approve, the lonely can soar, but to be accepted, this hammers home one needs to only do, be, say, mirror attributes and modest aspirations of the masses... So sad to hide freakish talents In the era of dullards wielding pitchforks, I hope she decides to keep those wings one day, I hope the world changes to delight in differences not discriminate and gather a hateful posse to force sameness. Great post!!! Love ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 <3 What a wonderful world that would be!

      Delete
  16. I hope one day, she won't have to cut her wings off anymore! Amazingly written Rommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sad to lose one's wings. But good they come back every month. Once she grows up, I suspect she will be able to keep them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always, your words are a wonderful little trek to things odd and magical. This one, especially, as the heavy weight of knowing your Sophia clips her own wings so she cannot fly makes this extra poignant. So many metaphors to be had in this one. Such a clever piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete