That Sportsball Life

I couldn't hear the bounce of ball on blacktop over the susurration of pages turning under my hands when I was young. Tying elation and depression to the ferocious waltz between strangers held no appeal. It was only when I felt the freedom of venting emotions in a well timed kick that I began to understand.

My unexpressed rage
finds solace in strengthened limbs
dripping sweat, not tears. 


Liner Notes for This Groove: 

My dad did a terrific job suppressing laughter when I told him I voluntarily participate in sport-like activities every week with my co-workers. That ever athletic man spent a lot of time trying to encourage me to enjoy a physical activity beyond walking back and forth to the library with a ginormous backpack of books. I'm just as surprised as he is by how much I look forward to what I call "sportsball time" at work.

There are weeks I'm especially grateful for sportsball time. This week was one of them. There was a whole lot going on that, let's just say, left me feeling mightily irked. It wasn't enough to make me cry (and I'm certainly not against a good cry either - I find those to be extremely cathartic), but I had some pretty strong feels that were going to be unproductive to vent any other way than on the sportsball field.

I actually played my best game this week - 2 goals, 2 assisted goals. I credited it to brewing chai tea in coffee that morning (caffeine is a hell of a drug, for me at least - ask my college roommate). But there was just something cleansing about playing hard, even if my team didn't win in the end (I mean... that wasn't realistic. The gentleman who runs the class and the lady who is super hard core about fitness were on the opposing team. It was like going up against the Avengers).

I'll never be fabulous at sports, but I'm having fun playing. Heck, I even have a favorite sports team - the Hanshin Tigers from Japan. They are from Osaka, which is known to be a foodie haven. That seems to be as good a reason as anything else to support a team. Go Tigers!


Mascot for the Hanshin Tigers

This poem is linked to Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads Weekend Mini-Challenge: Mustn't Be Fancy and Poets United, Poetry Pantry 436.


Song Choice: Rokko Oroshi (the fight song for the Hanshin Tigers baseball team out of Osaka Japan) by Snuff

46 comments:

  1. I love the evocative imagery of your phrase "susurration of pages turning under my hands." My parents were always after me when I was a kid to be more physically active too. All I wanted to do was read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could charitably be described as a human paperweight when I was a child. If I had a book in my hands you could stick some paper under my foot. I wasn't going anywhere. :D

      Delete
  2. That sort of susurration can be so entrancing (and filling, too). But yes, when it comes to getting physical, any activity that leaves us stronger is better than soul-staining alternative.

    The bit about your dad made me laugh so hard, mostly because I completely understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was very patient with my lack of physical activity as a kid. He's still really active too as a senior citizen, though his rough and tumble soccer days are behind him.

      Delete
  3. Ha... myself was a bookworm as a kid, and though I don't play ball I still enjoy my physical exercise of running and bicycling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm an "any excuse to run around like a nut and burn off some steam" kind of person. I'm tired, but happier when it's over.

      Delete
  4. Oh this is beautifully eloquent, Rommy! I love "the susurration of pages turning."❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally “get” this ~~ slamming the hell out of a tennis ball does it for me. Still. At 77.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great outlet for suppressed emotions, Rommy. When I was your age, I used to cycle for an hour and a half a day, far out into the countryside........it did the job! Sometimes I had a walkman on and boogied on my bike seat to Elton John. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Never underestimate the power of some killer background music to get the blood flowing, (I'm still standing, yeah, yeah, yeah!)

      Delete
  7. What a warm and engaging post Rommy, thank you for sharing this haiku and story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was the same, Rommy! My sporty dad also encouraged me to at least run and skate, with a little bit of long jump thrown in – I couldn’t cope with anything with balls of any shape of size (I hope that didn’t come out wrong!) – I’m useless at throwing and catching.
    In your haibun, I love the sound of the pages, the phrase ’ferocious waltz between strangers’, and the idea of venting emotions and finding ‘dripping sweat, not tears’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am better than I was as a kid, but still pretty terrible. I like having this second chance as an adult to play, with no pressure. So much more enjoyable than gym classes at school.

      Delete
  9. " the susurration of pages turning under my hands"...Beauty of a line.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, I like the idea of dripping sweat, not tears. There definitely is something to be said for physical activity. It simply makes a person FEEL good, and I agree that one does not have to be the best at an activity to make it enjoyable. Playing for the sake of playing, and knowing that you will feel better for all the effort is a good thing. And the 'strengthened limbs' will be grateful as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Post work-out endorphins are a thing. And I'm loving having stronger legs so I can get up and down more gracefully in a kimono for tea ceremony lessons. :D

      Delete
  11. Lovely haiku. Good reminder that above and below the neck activities are not mutually exclusive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was sadly under that delusion for years, but I'm glad I got over it.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful haiku, centering enjoyment/effect rather than raging competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C. LOL, we have just the right level of competitiveness on sportsball day. We always compliment good plays even if it was made by someone not on your team.

      Delete
  13. Sometimes a good kick does one the world of good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This whole post is just great, Rommy. I was a bookworm too and still am. I didn't have anyone encouraging me to be otherwise and it's super-difficult for me to prioritize exercise as an adult. So I'm glad you had that dad pushing you and I love that you are playing soccer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd probably be tougher if I didn't have a wacky workplace that offered lots of different physical fitness activities throughout the week (our corporate culture feels like a tech startup). My dad was quite tickled to know I played soccer, since that was his absolute favorite sport.

      Delete
  15. Enjoyed reading Everything... Go Tigers!
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! I loved everything about this post. It was a pleasure to read. Thank you, Rommy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Play on! It is much better to play and sweat out anger than carry it while it boils into confrontation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely. Plus the soccer ball can take the heat.

      Delete
  18. I love your poem and I love your story!
    Good for you Rommy! Keep it up!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! I'll get my legs ready for tea ceremony yet (my ultimate end goal) :D

      Delete
  19. dang the month is 2/3 gone and I haven't even run yet. Good reminder, Rommy ~

    ReplyDelete
  20. There’s nothing like working up a sweat to banish those dark clouds. It’s always interesting reading a little more into each other’s backgrounds. Well done for sticking to your sport- win or lose👍🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun. Heck scoring against the other team, not once but twice felt like a massive win in my book. :D

      Delete
  21. Haha. I’m just the opposite now. I got burned out on the whole sports thing. I find competitive spirits soon turn to win at all costs spirits instead of just enjoying the game.

    ReplyDelete
  22. picking a sports team because their hometown is known for great food - sounds like an awesome idea to me!!! Enjoyed the poem as well!

    ReplyDelete