I'd Still Kiss Him Under the Bleachers: Blogging Around with Rommy Week 5

No shortage of doubt
lies in my pessimist’s heart.
You ground my storming
soul, once ready to give up,
until you smile and say, “Fly”.

This poem is linked up to Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads’ Tuesday Platform and Poets United's Poetry Pantry 440.



“Before Elle had come into his life, he didn't even know what tea was. Now it was a staple. Worse, he actually knew the differences in teas.”
― Christine Feehan, Hidden Currents

Liner Notes for this Groove:

Anyone who’s met me in real life knows that like Cinderella’s carriage, I turn into a pumpkin when it gets late enough—though usually I’m lucky to make it to 10 p.m., let alone midnight. So this one night my husband and I were driving home from our friends’ place well past 10. I was fading fast and asked my husband to find something on the radio. I don’t know how he did it, but he flipped through and found a Latin freestyle block. At the first few notes from Debbie Deb I started to perk up. When Cynthia and Johnny O started up the duet that always got me moving at high school dances, I was singing along. But not the husband.

See, while these tunes were a staple of my coming of age in Elmwood Park, NJ his teen years on Philadelphia’s Main Line didn’t expose him to much Latin freestyle, even if he had bothered making it to a dance. But he knows what I like. He knows, like the character in the quote above, what the difference in teas are even though he’s a dedicated coffee drinker. And he knows how important writing is to me. I’ve had more than a few times I’ve felt discouraged by lack of support from places I thought I’d get it from (Yo, maybe wait until I leave the room to discuss how you can’t be bothered having my book in your house? K’thanks). He’s not only been the cheerleader I needed after moments like that, he’s also there backing me up when I need quiet time to write, and making sure I have the tea I need to get to the word count I want.

So I never made out with him under the bleachers while dancing to Clave Rocks. I doubt he knows the tune to ShowMe, let alone the words. But this pumpkin made it to midnight that night. And you can sure as hell bet I kissed the prince.

This movie is a favorite of both my husband' and me.

So dear Groovers, is there something you learned more about or some skill you picked up because of a significant other? Tell me all about it in the comments section, or just catch me up on what's doing with you this week. And as always if you have a cyberhome where you'd like to take the conversation a little deeper, talk to me about it in the comments and add your link there.





46 comments:

  1. This is the sweetest and most romantic midnight scene I have ever read, Rommy!❤️ It's wonderful how a significant other can open us up to new skills and possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband definitely introduced me to my share of firsts too. A whole new world of geeky awesomeness opened up to me. :D

      Delete
  2. My Rare One taught me how to drive through multi-lane traffic circles and how to play canasta. Not at the same time, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROTFL now I have that mental image stuck in my head. Nice.

      Delete
  3. I am down with that Latin groove. As for a skill a significant other taught me...mostly they taught me to be more careful when choosing significant others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort* Oh yeah, I have exes like that too. Thankfully I failed my way up to a good relationship.

      Delete
  4. Now, the secret is out; I’m a hopeless romantic! This post melted my heart, Rommy. I enjoyed reading about your coming of age tunes, what you get up to with your hubby on your late night drives, and also to hear how much he supports your writing. He is a keeper! And you should be kissing him under the bleachers everyday. :D

    When it comes to feeling discouraged by lack of support from places you thought you’d get it from. Say no more! But one thing I’ll say though, you learn a LOT from publishing your first book. Keep writing, this is only the beginning!

    p.s. I’ll back to link my entry tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and here's my contribution: https://www.khayaronkainen.fi/love-happens-everyday/

      Delete
    2. Here's to all us hopeless romantics! And here's to more writing! :)

      Delete
  5. I love this... isn't this the best you can do... trying to love the loves of your significant other... in my case it was probably her pulling me out in the wilderness... our first vacation ever was ten days of rain in a small tent, walking 10-20 km/day with heavy backpacks, with too little food and almost constantly raining... but it's a memory and we still walk every summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, my first camping experience was with my husband too (we were only just dating then) and it was also pouring down rain. I can't say I was very good at it, but the company was wonderful.

      Delete
  6. Oh, love can give you wings... Charlie taught me how to put Freon in the car air conditioner. Now isn't that romantic? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'd like to larn how to do that! Sometimes practicality wins :D

      Delete
  7. That's the kind of support and love that keeps the clock ticking... lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how wonderful that your husband still has your pessimist’s heart and storming soul, Rommy, and that he is your cheerleader and tea maker, even if you never made out with him under the bleachers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad he has my back after all these years.

      Delete
  9. When you trust your love enough you can do anything, especially for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes, though very little will compel my husband to actually dance to this or any other music.

      Delete
  10. I'm reading this with a hand over my chest and grinning like a crazy person, who knows just how magical real love is (and makes us feel). The ending "Fly" makes the heart soar with delight. I do love real romance.

    I shan't say a thing about you falling asleep with the chickens. How rude of you to force me to type that. 😀 All right, maybe I just typed it in order to imagine you jumping awake when your love found the music. Few things are as revitalizing as being loved knowingly.

    When it comes to learning from (and with) my Piano Man, he has helped me find some balance. I think we've done that for each other. I'm all rapids and he's all smooth lake, but together we are just right.

    My contribution for this week:

    https://magalyguerrero.com/with-weird-and-bite/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort* Yeah, when you call here after nine, there's a good chance you'll talk to Eric or even one of my kids over me. Though Kit is usually curled up wherever he wants to be for the night too. :D

      Yep, it probably looked a lot like how you pictured it. I'm glad my husband is the chill balance to my frenetic (before 9 pm) energy.

      Delete
  11. I grew up on a farm, so no late nights for me, either! I am so glad you found someone that loves you so well and supports your writing! Give him a hug from all of us in thanks! Your writing buoys all of us that follow you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, apparently I'm on the same sleep schedule as the chickens. I shall be sure to thoroughly thank him. ;)

      Delete
  12. I learned to swear quite well since meeting my Hubby...even though he doesn't use bad language at all... does that count? ;) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort* I'm the cusser in my family. Eric has Captain America's standards of language.

      Delete
  13. My hubs is so good for me! He gently puts me in my place when I get to ahead of myself. I am a very strong willed bull headed ( Taurus) and I like that he doesn't let me bulldoze him. I haven't learned anything because of him but because of my love for dance, he dances in the kitchen with me just when I need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'm a Taurus too. Thankfully my Libra husband has learned the fine art of negotiating with me.

      Delete
  14. Ah, those kernels of hope remain in the most pessimist of hearts. We all need that reminder to fly by someone or something. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cant imagine someone saying that about your amazing book. Sigh. Loved your poem, especially "Fly", and loved even more your notes. It is wonderful your husband has your back. So do we, who love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. *sigh* Such a romantic story & poem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's not the kill ......... but the thrill of the chase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we've been married almost 24 years now. There's not much in the way of killing or chasing (unless you're talking about gaming), but we sure do enjoy our married life together.

      Delete
  18. I love the story of you and your hubby! Priceless! I love the poem too! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do so enjoy your posts, Rommy.

    A couple of weeks ago when Rosemary posted the link to the audio of Beowulf by Irish Artist Seamus Haney, I asked my husband of almost half a century if he'd like to listen to it with me (it is about 2 hours long). He was all into it.

    But for having hung out with me for the past 5 decades, I don't see him getting from where he was back then to 3,182 lines written sometime between 975 and 1025 a.d. But, there he was, hanging on every word.


    Partners give each other gifts they'd probably never accept from anyone else. ~ smiles ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might need to dig up that link too. I think the hubs and I would both enjoy it. Back in college he was the English major who wanted to write and I was the Bio major. :D

      Delete
  20. Love this Rommy and i can relate. I to start fading fast after 10 pm. As far as a music groove story of my own....well i love to dance and so does my significant other but i am a bit of a toe stepper onner LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely the dancer in the family. My husband - well, he means well and never permanently damaged any of my toes. :D

      Delete