A Rommy By Any Other Name

So it's never been a particularly well kept secret, but I go by another name besides Kestril, and that's Rommy Driks. It took me a while to come to the decision that it's OK to just put my name out there. It's not like I've taken great pains to hide my name. And I haven't said anything on this blog that I wouldn't say under my real name (in fact on Facebook I've been a lot more vocal about some of my opinions). 

But there are things I've shared under Kestril that I haven't tried hard to associate with my real name - my short stories. I've had a lot of encouragement from friends to be more open about the writing side of my life. Heck, a few of them even think my stuff may be publishable some day! I don't hold any grand illusions of being JK Rowling. If any of my stories ever makes me enough to buy a Starbuck's latte, I'll be pretty stoked. But they are my stories and even if they aren't the best thing ever, I'm kind of proud of myself for having the courage to write them down and let others look at them - something I never would have considered 10 years ago.

So I'm going to add my real name to my bio. Feel free to look me up on Facebook if you have the notion. After all, how many Rommy Drikses are there?




10 comments:

  1. Hey Rommy! Cool name! And you know, there was a time when JK Rowlings herself didn't hold any grand illusions about being a successful gazillionaire world-famous author either -- so don't sell yourself short. Who knows what the future can hold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks. My parents named me after Austrian actress Rommy Schnieder because she starred in one of their favorite movies, Sisi the Empress.

      Delete
  2. What Debra said!

    Our stories are our babies and we love them. We know that exposing them is exposing our hearts a bit... and there is risk in that... and so much to gain, too. In the end, the pleasure supersedes the risk. We see our little writing corners grow into rooms, neighborhoods, worlds... and then all is well.

    And when it isn't, we write, write, write until it is so. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like a big leap of faith. More than anything, it feels like a step towards taking writing and myself a bit more seriously - but not too seriously I hope! There's definitely a bit of fun in the process I'd hate to ever lose.

      Delete
  3. Hee hee now I want to know how many there are! I am one of (as far as I know ) only two people who actually use the name Laura Morrigan legally. Pretty sure the other one legally changed her name as I did.

    Ah yes, I hope to make money out of my stories too, one day, although I too know that it is the stories that are important, not the money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories are the most important part. When I think of things like money I start to freeze up and can't write a damned thing. I'm finding the fun in just figuring the characters and their stories out. If others enjoy it and much as I enjoy writing - awesome!

      Delete
    2. I'm glad that you've put all your names in one pile. Some years ago, I had to do the same thing in order for clients, friends, etc to find all of me. I look forward to more of your stories. xoxo Oma Linda

      Delete
    3. LOL, yeah I started feeling a bit like I had too many personas to juggle, so this makes things much easier. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

      Delete