The King of the Bus Stop: Blogging Around with Rommy Week 45



I thought I knew what stubborn was, but that was before we rescued Kit. Oh I knew corgis could be stubborn, thanks to my first dog, Faye. But Kit has taken corgi stubbornness and elevated to a Michelangelo level of artistry.

Nowhere is this more obvious than at around 8:30 am every morning. You see that’s the time the elementary school bus comes around our neighborhood. And Kit knows that not only is the bus stop filled with children lining up to rub his belly, he knows the bus driver always has treats on hand for any dogs that happen to be around.

This is slightly mortifying for me as my children are well past elementary school age. There is no reason to be at the stop. But if Kit just sees one child heading in that direction, he will tug on his leash until my husband or I bring him there. This dog, who is known for the most part to be a lazy fellow, will sprint if he hears the bus coming down the block. He has also been known to have an attitude if we are late getting him out and he misses the bus.

It’s gotten so bad that every time Kit sees a bus, he assumes it’s his bus and won’t budge unless its proven otherwise (the bus drives past with no one paying any attention to him and no treats getting tossed his way).

While this can be very exasperating, especially when I’m trying to get him to take care of business quickly between errands, I can’t stay annoyed for long. I remember how shy he was when we first adopted him, a few months after Faye passed away. He grew to love and trust us, and we were grateful for his cuddly derpiness after what had been a sad time in our lives. I don’t know why his previous owners gave him up, but I’m glad he’s part of our family now. A little stubbornness now and then is a very small price to pay for that.

If I stay perfectly still
maybe I'll get a cookie

This essay is linked to Poets United Pantry of Prose and Poetry

Song Choice: Whenever I see Kit waiting for a bus I often imagine the Wells Fargo Wagon song from the Music Man playing in his head.

41 comments:

  1. Cuddly derpiness is surely a wonderful quality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful and happy piece of prose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs may be shallow creatures but they give you a lot of laughs and love. We had a dog once that gave himself up at the dog pound as he could sense some bitches inside were on heat. They gave us a call to pick him up! Great story Rommy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kit's antics do give us a lot of opportunities for laughter.

      Delete
  4. Luv this derpy dog Kit.
    Happy Sunday to your family, Kit inclusive

    Much✏love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would that I could send cookies through comments! This makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kit! Keep on being stubborn and lovable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! I’m a sucker for pooches. Zeus say hi to Kit!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I love this story - and Kit - so much! LOVE the photo, and his determined back. Love the bus driver, who carries treats. I walk the beach and the villge with treats in my pocket, nd many of the local dogs know it by now and drag their owners over to me, snout in my pocket. Smiles. I do love dogs. I'm glad he found a good home after being abandoned by his first family. No dog deserves that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! That's so sweet that you're a treat lady. Yeah, it breaks my heart when I think how sad Kit must have been, but he's a pampered pooch now.

      Delete
  9. LOL, I love Chrissie's comment. I do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kit is terribly misunderstood. He doesn't run towards the bus because of the cookies. Oh, no. He goes to make sure all the kids are safe. He only eats the cookies because he doesn't want to offend the bus driver. Really. Really! The rest is all rumor. Most likely started by resentful squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is likely true. Everyone knows the squirrels have it in for him.

      Delete
  11. I love Kit! Our Tupelo has both Husky and Corgi, so we completely understand the stubbornness that is at once very frustrating and immensely endearing! The Wells Fargo Wagon song is PERFECT! Could be somethin' special...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, Tupelo was returned by her first person, so she feels you, Kit. You "second-hand" puppies are our something special!

      Delete
    2. I can only imagine how luxurious Tupelo's coat is as a Corgi-Husky mix. Our second-hand babies are special, stubbornness and all!

      Delete
  12. Kit is certainly empathetic! ❤️ I believe he must have a good reason for his stubbornness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typically the answer is either food or belly rubs. :D

      Delete
  13. I love this story, love that you rescued Kit, love that he makes you happy and even love that he's uniquely stubborn. So cute











    Love this story, love that you rescued Kit, love that he's uniquely stubborn and oh so cute.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our sweet goofball does make our lives so much happier.

      Delete
  14. Well, don't buses belong to dogs? Smart Kit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this story. Each dog has their own personality and thrive in a loving home. You are very lucky, Rommy. Good luck to you and Kit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Intelligent creatures Kit and its kind are not called 'man's best friend for nothing!' They are faithful and over protective of their masters making them an ideal friend!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute! Thanks for the smile Rommy! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete