I'll Be Waiting (Dusk til Dawn)

When Ada collapsed into Nestor’s arms his first thought was that she didn’t look as bad off as the last time. Then he saw she was pressing her hands on a spot in her side, dark and wet with blood.

He scooped her up, being careful with her bruised and scratched wings, and laid her out on the sofa. As he rummaged around in his box of medicine, he shot a look at the clock. It was only 1:00 A.M. Plenty of time left in the night. Plenty of time for her to heal before she had to return.

“Hello, magus,” she whispered

“Hello yourself,” he said bringing the supplies he needed over to her. “It’s been awhile.”

“Has it?” Her smile only showed flashes of a grimace now and then as he worked. “Your magic is strong as always.”

Nestor grunted. He didn’t know why basic first aid worked on her like magic any more than he knew why some nights she fell into his world only to disappear at dawn.

“So serious tonight,” she responded. “It’s not as bad as it looks. Especially with you here to help me.”

“Why do I only see you now when you are in pain? Why won’t you talk to me?” he said slamming the lid of the first aid box.

Her smile fled. “I am at war, magus. There are those who will keep hunting me for these,” she motioned to her draconic wings. “I thought you said you understood.”

Nestor remembered the first time he saw her. She was beautiful, like something out of a legend. He had a hard time thinking of her as cursed or flawed no matter how many times she explained the troubles in her world. Even though on one level he understood all too well.

“I’m sorry. I just miss how we used to talk—before things got worse for you. I know it’s selfish,” he said.

“Maybe I feel selfish, expecting you to always heal me. Maybe I feel selfish asking for more.”

Nestor looked out his window. “Dawn is hours away. Neither of us is going anywhere right now. If you want to talk, I’ll listen.”

Ada breathed deep, then spoke.


Photo by Gustavo Ardon on Unsplash



Song Choice: Dusk Til Dawn by Zayn featuring Sia

This flash fiction was created for the prompt given at today's Weekly Scribblings at Poets and Storytellers United, By Means of Music.

51 comments:

  1. Wow, Nestor is quite a caring sort; Nice Episode.

    Happy Wednesday Rommy

    MUCH❧✿❧LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in this place ... 'maybe I feel selfish, expecting you to always heal me.' You are a talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's sweet of you to say. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. This is absolutely riveting, Rommy!💘 I love where the song took you and especially resonate with; "He had a hard time thinking of her as cursed or flawed no matter how many times she explained the troubles in her world." Thank you so much for writing to the prompt!😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good story, but even more, I have great respect for a writer who lets me stand in the corner of a room whilst eavesdropping on a conversation and feeing what the characters feel. Bravo! (Is this part of a book? series?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't...lol, at least not yet. I came up with it after listening to Sanaa's playlist and the scene suggested itself in my brain after listening to the song.

      Delete
    2. ...like a true writer! I enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  5. This is so beautifully written Rommy, as the reader getting to end thinks "I want more, where can I find the serial or book?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was meant to be a simple one off, but there might be something fun to play around with here.

      Delete
  6. What a fascinating tale! I too want more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! LOL, I'm surprised but delighted at the positive response.

      Delete
  7. The title says it all, Rommy, loyalty means everything. Ada is lucky to have Nestor. I love the way he ‘scooped her up, being careful with her bruised and scratched wings’. And how awful that she’s being hunted for her wings. More please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm so glad people seem to really like this bit.

      Delete
  8. I wish I knew what Ada was going to say. I wish I knew who she is, why she has wings, who wants her wings and is Magus a magician? Or perhaps, the whole story is a metaphor? Sure kept me reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You captured me with your words and I am enthralled.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I love the story, love your writing. I'm looking forward to the next one. "Nestor grunted. He didn’t know why basic first aid worked on her like magic any more than he knew why some nights she fell into his world only to disappear at dawn." Nestor doesn't know the why of her appearances, but they are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very difficult relationship. Mostly, because it is obvious that Nestor truly cares for Ada and she also cares for his opinion. Still, that doesn't make the relationship any easier. It doesn't matter how much he tries to understand her feelings about herself and about how others treat her, he'll never be able to--not when he isn't the one with the wings. But... I so love that she is talking. Because that is the beginning of shedding some light on the issue. And if they are both very lucky, it is also the start of understanding why it is okay not to fully understand what it means to be the other, as long as they are there for one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Whether this is an unbreachable gulf in their case remains to be seen. But they both have agreed to talk and listen, and that is an extremely hopeful thing. :)

      Delete
  12. Would love to hear what Ada has to say. What a wonderful story I got hooked straight away and I love creatures with wings. Hope this will be continued

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thrilled at the positive reception this story is getting. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Uplifting - that relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always hope when people communicate

      Delete
  14. You speak here of so many relationships. Minus the wings, of course. Great words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. There are a lot of real world relationship parallels

      Delete
  15. Compelling story--I found myself holding my breath at the end, waiting for her story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The gift of listening to another is one of the most precious gifts we can give.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Sunday Rommy

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an exciting piece here...buidling up momentum for the next part next week? sometimes i wish i had wings hehe. this is a beginning of a book i'd love to read right now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The story reads like an excerpt from a fantasy novel. It got me wondering about their relationship, who they were, and why they meet like this. An Intriguing and enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of fun playing around with fantasy short stories. I'm glad others had fun reading them.

      Delete
  20. You hooked me from the first sentence and never let go. The willingness to mend physical and psychological wounds, to listen... this is a magical piece of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the magic exists on multiple levels on this piece. I'm so glad you saw that. :)

      Delete
  21. Wow! This is a wonderful tale. The fact that she is being hunted for her wings, says so much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both bright and melancholy, it seems that this symbiotic may not last but there is hope between them. A brief reflection of time in the middle of a much larger story. Thanks, Rommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving that people really feel like this is part of a bigger tale. Maybe it will be.

      Delete