Beyond Heaven

I was never really heaven’s favorite child.
I failed
to prove my obedience
by asking “why” and “what if”.

And heaven offers no salvation for dreamers
unless they stay cloaked with its holy hues.

All I have left to show
for my dreams are lost love’s ashes
clinging to the souls of every one of my failures,
who in turn are ground into oblivion.

I never thought anyone
would find comfort or inspiration in my stories,
taking cautionary tales as aspirations,
insisting there’s gold beneath the grime.
I didn’t expect you, my daughter,

knowing the selectiveness of heavenly mercy,
would demand that heaven acknowledge you
and start living up to its ideals.

How can a parent ask their child
to be less than what they are,
to shrink their spirit
when they are finally ready
to shout truth in the face
of reactionary angels?

I may repent
an innumerable host of stupid decisions
but I refuse to renounce the greatest miracle
my disobedience has birthed.

 


Liner Notes for this Groove: I've been sick with COVID for the last week and a half. In between hacking up my lungs I got a chance to binge the musical series, Hazbin Hotel. While I enjoyed it, it's definitely not for everyone. The pacing gets a little crazy and there's a song/ scene that makes Fantine's I Dreamed a Dream from Le Miz seem like Somewhere Over the Rainbow (they were not kidding around with the content warning for episode four). But I am a sucker for musicals and characters that are idealistic dorks, like Lucifer and Charlie.

22 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon, Rommy! Your poem and description of "Hazbiin Hotel" makes me want to check out that series now! Where is it streaming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on Amazon Prime. It's extremely irreverent, but I doubt that will put you off.

      Delete
  2. I hope you recover soon and feel better I love the emotion in your poem and the end message - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jae. I am slowly but surely getting better. And I'm glad the poem resonated with you.

      Delete
  3. but I refuse to renounce the greatest miracle
    my disobedience has birthed. - strong lines!!! A power poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rajani. I'm glad the power of the words hit.

      Delete
  4. strong words and a strong poem,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to marry the last two lines of your poem. I want to carry it with me and shout it randomly and loudly. The who poem goes for the heart, but those closing lines... well, they fill the heart and spirit and even all those places we didn't know we needed a champion for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Magaly. I find inspiration in the strangest places sometimes, but I'm happy for the way that inspiration plays out too.

      Delete
  6. Seriously? COVID? What an utter bore. I appreciate the warning--will be soaking up the sunshine when possible!

    Pris cilla King

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? I could have wheezed for joy when the blinding headache and brain fog lifted and I could read again.

      Delete
  7. Be well soon ... the lingering kind of COVID is beyond frustrating. And now? Getting ready to binge on Amazon. Your poem is beautifully penned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope it doesn't linger too much longer. I am dreadfully sick of it. Thank you for the lovely words, Helen.

      Delete
  8. Keep writing - may your health return soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good health soon, Rommy. Love the poem, and your miracle.

    ReplyDelete