Poetry Tapas

While I haven't been writing a full length poem every day for NaPoWriMo, I have been busy with my Wicked Little Grooves micropetry on Instagram and Facebook. Some of them are up on Pintrest (I'll add the rest soon) but here a few of them. I'm also linking up to dVerse's Open Link Night. This was a fun and challenging experiment for the month of April. While I probably won't keep up the crazy pace, I think I'd like to keep writing more of these, say one a week. I'm open to musical suggestions if you'd like to give them!



A civilized veneer
makes poor armor.
Those who rely upon it
soon become thralls.



The scent of his latest culinary exploit
is only half as tempting as he.
I'm sure breakfast will taste
just as good cold.




Our fingers trace sigils onto each other’s’ skin –
the culmination of the quixotic magic
that brought us to this moment.

(Song Inspiration: Angels by The XX)


Am I afraid? Yes.
Don’t laugh. I like my order.
And what disrupts an ordered life 
more than love?

(Song Inspiration: Hounds of Love by Kate Bush)


She grasps at phantoms 
comprised of society’s expectations
and wonders why she weeps.

(Song Inspiration: Ripples by Genesis)

32 comments:

  1. I love this idea... what an excellent way to present poem... and I have to say I love the thought of a cold breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful little pieces, indeed. I adore pithiness, and you've got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a challenge because I really had to develop that aspect of my writing.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The song was really great for inspiring that one.

      Delete
  4. And I adore these little snippets oh so much :D especially "Our fingers trace sigils onto each other’s’ skin.." and "She grasps at phantoms
    comprised of society’s expectations.." Its been so awesome writing for your prompts :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sanaa! Glad you were able to play along as well.

      Delete
  5. These are so fun...what a great idea. I'll offer a suggestion but it's probably well before your time: Moody Blues, Nights in White Satin. Let me know if you go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually - I did! Earlier this month. I just hadn't posted it.

      Moonlight lies, sometimes.
      Fearing you are an illusion
      I reach out
      and touch warm skin.

      Delete
  6. I want to dance a life in the music of your first Wicked Little Groove. There is so much truth brewing through those four lines! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being (happily) surprised by the strength of those words when I was done.

      Delete
  7. I love that you were inside by an old Hank Williams song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a suggestion from a fellow blogger. A cool perk of this project was getting to revisit or discover interesting and diverse music.

      Delete
  8. "what disrupts an ordered life
    more than love"

    So true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always found that to be so. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. These are all little gems...concise and creatively displayed. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I drew the little Japanese style crest that appears on each piece too.

      Delete
    2. You drew the Japanese crest?? Wow!!! Beautiful!

      Delete
  10. Love them! Especially the last one! I really like the paper, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drew that image years ago, but it seemed kind of perfect as a way to stamp my poetry.

      Delete
  11. I came over from Debra's blog.

    Hopefully, that breakfast did really taste good cold. Some do.

    Happy Writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that particular micropoem you mentioned was inspired by Debra's request for some Hank Williams. Thank you so much for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  12. I wonder why I weep all of the time. Love the way you presented this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was an experiment, but I think I'm doing decently with this format.

      Delete
  13. Love them all Rommy! The paper you displayed them on is gorgeous too! (Got to love Hank Williams! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I worked with the design I came up with a little bit ago and I think it makes a nice little logo for me. :)

      Delete
  14. These are terrific! Such a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete