A Woman of Words


The words I was given
were condensed milk thickened on a stove,
sips of manzanilla to dream easy,
and a swish of the hips.

The words I was taught
were liberty and diversity,
and a dash of ambiguity, uncertainty,
yet always mixed with aspiration and hope.

The words that were shared
were a smoky salt kiss
with cream and chives,
big city pitter patter,
with old world curled up in the throat.

The words that I took
belong to forests across oceans,
real and imaginary,
flowing like waves across a floating world,
somehow reminding me
of that first sip of chamomile.


This poem is part of the Tuesday Platform for Imaginary Garden with Real Toads. It is also the fifth poem I was challenged to write as part of a Facebook game. 

22 comments:

  1. Magical.

    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write for the toads. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "with old world curled up in the throat" -- so evocative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! It was like the bittersweet feeling of homesickness you can get even when you are happy where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and the inspiration you provide with your work. :)

      Delete
  6. A super pretty and evocative poem. Thanks. k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, Rommy, and the voice it sings in--very you, but also timeless, then sliding into something very contemporary--a recipe for poetry to clip out and save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I squeed like a little girl at your words. I feel that way about your poetry.

      Delete
  8. This is delicious and full of spirit... with roots running from brain to heart to toes to soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I'm glad the feeling of rooted-ness and and growth came through.

      Delete
  9. I love good poetry that touches the soul and you did just that with your chamomile tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good cup of tea should soothe the soul as well as the palate, so my tea teachers say. :)

      Delete
  10. This is "goose bump" good. And shivers runnin' down my spine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad to inspire such sentiment with my words.

      Delete