Glow


“I’m tagging out,” Oliver said as soon as Isaac walked in.

“That good, huh?” Isaac put down his bag and went into the kitchen to give his exasperated husband a hug.

“I’ve never seen a kid work so hard to swallow their gift. I couldn’t wait until mine came. I ran around like a maniac shooting sparks for weeks.”

“That sure sounds like you. The maniac part I mean,” Isaac said, dodging the flicked towel that came at him a second later with a laugh. He was happy to see Oliver laughing too. “I’ll go talk to her.”

Isaac knocked on his daughter’s door. “Can I come in?”

At the sound of a muffled yes he walked in. He sat down next to the lump under the blankets.

“Sweetie, can you come out?”

Kira’s popped her head out. Isaac could see why Oliver was so worried. He could almost see completely through her.

“Will I disappear forever?” she asked.

“Not at all. This happens when people try to hold back their gift. Have you been feeling any of the signs?”

Kira cried, “What if it’s lamest gift ever and still have to grow up?” She buried her head against his side.

“Did you know I faded a little too when I started feeling my gift? I won’t lie. There’s a lot that scared me about growing up, but it’s worse keeping a part of yourself buried because you’re afraid.” Isaac breathed out a flower and gave it to Kira.  “Why don’t you try letting it out now? I’ll be right here.”

“Can Pops be here too?”

Oliver poked his head into the room. “I was hoping you’d ask.”

Kira took a deep breath and blew out a small golden orb that lit up the room.

“Light, like me,” Oliver said.

“Breath, like me,” Isaac said.

“But the glow is all mine,” Kira said.


Song Choice: Winter by Tori Amos

Liner notes for this Groove: Still going strong with the blackout project on my Instagram. This short fiction was based on a short poem I created from a page of my galley proof of my book, The Trouble with Wanting and Other Not Quite Faerie Tales. It's linked up with Poets United's Telling Tales with Magaly Guerrero.

Glow. Hidden glamour is folly.

The page came from Kindred Steel,
my latest Yuuki story

24 comments:

  1. I’m enchanted by the interaction between the characters. Their closeness, their patience with each other, and their understanding leaves me all warm inside. And I absolutely love the fun bantering between the parents, which is made even more adorable (and admirable) by how they approach Kira’s worries. The ending? Yum! The same goes for the blackout—words and visual art! 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks, though I think in my attempts to bite off more than I could chew in a busy weekend I missed the mark somewhat. Still, it's a sweet story. I adore the characters and I enjoyed writing it.

      Delete
  2. "Kira took a deep breath and blew out a small golden orb that lit up the room." Angel of a line. And what an end! Wish all troubles melt away like this. Great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely, wouldn't it? Thanks Sumana.

      Delete
  3. I really like the interaction between the parents and Kira. They are good teachers of the way to live. I love the ending, and the beaming glow on Kira's face is palpable..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I adored this story. Her blowing out that golden orb........and she has much golden love from those amazing parents, so she will be all right! This was magical to read. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delight! But now I want to know much, much more about this family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll expand upon it at some point. :)

      Delete
  6. Such a cool story Rommy! I love the dialogue and the message that flows in this. Also, love that song Winter, and your black out poetry looks lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie. I've been trying to keep a lot of plates spinning this month, and though this story isn't *quite* right, I think it came out nicely.

      Delete
  7. Kira? Where have I heard that name before? Ah yes the enchantment of the "Dark Crystal"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how I love to have people who help me shine. I didn't expect where this went when I started reading it, but I so love it. Love your art too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. LOL, this whole post, from artwork to words, was one big experiment. I'm glad it worked out mostly well.

      Delete
  9. I love this. It's not only magical but I love the blowing of glow as well as the non-traditional family depicted. Wonderful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the characters in the story, great write.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This seems like a kernel of a new, longer short story? The characters shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a couple of people tell me that. I'm thinking I ought to see what I can do with it. :)

      Delete
  12. This is truly beautiful!!! Love the characters and the message!

    ReplyDelete