Eye of the Tiger: Blogging Around with Rommy Week 15




That sound of howling you heard on Monday morning coming from Bucks County, PA was not the sound of White Walkers descending upon one of our scenic castles (seriously, we have a few of them). It was the noise I made when I realized how many things I had to do and how little time I had to do them. One of these things was exercise.

As I’ve mentioned here before, I am working hard at keeping up an exercise routine. Last week was a perfect storm of craziness with my birthday, my dad’s birthday, getting my son home from college, getting the house ready for Passover, putting the house back together after Passover, and NaPoWriMo. Also I have hit the Plateau of Nothingness as far as gains from exercise go. So did I blow off my routine?

Nope. I modified it, getting a little extra in on days I knew would be less intense, cutting myself a little slack on days where I felt more confused than Alice at the mad tea party. And I got my goal of 5 workouts a week in. If it’s important to me, I’m going to get it done. Writing works the same way. There were days in April it was tough to stick to even my modified NaPoWriMo schedule (yay, stomach flu). But the 15th blackout piece gone done and here’s the 15th expansion:

Carelessly sown seeds
need extra safeguards or else
death comes suddenly.
So I protect my passion.
I’ve seen weakness kill a dream



This blackout piece comes from the galley proof of my book,
If you've read the book, you might recognize this as Lynna's sea-glass pendant.
This poem is linked to Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads' Tuesday Platform.

And now I’ve finished up my writing goal! *happy dance* Wilkie Collins once wrote, “My hour for tea is half–past five, and my buttered toast waits for no one.” It is a little past when I normally work out, but I drop my goals for no one. Yeah, I think I can get a good half hour in.

So what’s new in your world Groovers? We can chat about exercise or just tell me how your week is going. Want to keep the conversation going on at your place? Make sure to drop the link to it somewhere in your comments.


28 comments:

  1. No wonder the White Walkers gave me a bewildered look when I asked them if they could keep it down. And there I was thinking the wild look in their eyes was just cause by the whole failing to pieces business. I guess I need to apologize, huh?

    I'm all about sticking to my routines. Until they stop working. If something doesn't work, I follow your steps and try something else. Time is too good to be wasted.

    Congrats on 15 and 15! That is awesome. And I love this tanka, the way the mind to so many different places--from the garden of the body to the fields of the spirit, always growing. Hope you enjoyed your workout.

    Now, my bit for this week:

    https://magalysblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um... Let me try again, lol:

      https://magalysblog.blogspot.com/2019/04/finding-my-waist-after-breast-cancer.html

      Delete
    2. Knowing when it's time to change things up is huge. LOL, I'm getting better at catching myself when I'm sticking to something that just isn't working, and then changing up my methods instead of quitting altogether.

      Delete
  2. I may not have repeated myself recently(crazy is the month of April) but I am loving your new style of doodle blackout poetry.
    I have given myself too many "things" to do in my day, so come Lamastide I will be clawing back some writing time (yes your constant example is enticing me)....
    as to physical exercise, dog walking and running up and down stairs all day and Gardening will have to suffice lol XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those things burn energy! I am in awe of gardeners, fyi. I'm good at keeping mint alive. :D Yay for more writing time!

      Delete
  3. Oh poor exercise, so happily I sacrifice thee on the altar of laziness!!! I totally agree with your poem though- it is the weakness that kills the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did it!!!❤️ Gosh it's been a crazy month! I salute you for getting in some exercise during this time .. I couldn't manage it as the days are getting hotter and hotter here by the minute! You're officially my hero!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did! Woot! Everyone who survived NaPoWriMo is my hero.

      Delete
  5. I love your found poems.. this one is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have lived at the Plateau of Nothingness for a decade, lol. Keep going. It gets harder when you get older. This made me smile - especially the howl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah it's beginning to be a thing for me. Luckily I've altered my fitness goals from Victoria's Secret model to Ruth Bader Ginsberg (I just want to be a fiesty old lady in general good health).

      Delete
  7. It's great that you find away to protect your passion. That is the most significant thing. Such a lovely found poem! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh..yes, "I've seen weakness kill a dream." I have fibromyalgia and I'm always having to start over again with an exercise routine because a flair knocks me flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof. I've heard those flairs are nasty. Chronic illness is rough. I wish more people were aware of how debilitating they are.

      Delete
  9. Exercise.... to me it's easy once it fits a purpose beyond exercise. Bicycling to work make routine so easy... I have to get there, and I have a bike, problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can see that being a good way to get it in. With me, I need there to be some element of fun because I'm a kid at heart. I can't just do X amount of jumping jacks to do them.

      Delete
  10. I like your attitude Rommy, “If it’s important to me, I’m going to get it done.” It’s all about prioritizing really, which sounds easier said than done. But your poem brilliantly captures this safeguarding of seeds, time or all the things important to us.

    Your blackout poetry is really awesome. I’m still in awe at your wonderful idea to recycle your the proof of your book this way. Congrats on finishing NaPoWriMo, in addition to all the things you had to do! :)

    And here’s my bit on exercising or health living:
    https://www.khayaronkainen.fi/biodiversity-on-a-platter/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Khaya. The blackout stuff was a HUGE experiment for me, and I'm glad it turned out well. I will probably do a few more of those in the future, but I need to give myself a little break first. :D

      Delete
  11. I am a fan of found poems, Rommy. I wish I could prevent my own weakness from killing my dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't always been good about that, but I try to bounce back when I mess up.

      Delete
  12. Excellent Poem - and art work! Good job keeping up on exercising - its never a plateau - think of blood pressure and all those other good things... it isn't all about weight loss.

    ReplyDelete