If Poets Did Doodle

I enjoy twisting
feeling into dark whimsy,
sweets taste truer
balanced with the right savory.

This poem is linked to Imaginary Garden with Real Toads' Tuesday Platform.

Liner Notes for this Groove:

I’ve fully participated in NaPoWriMo only twice. While challenges like that make me a better writer, April just tends to be a busy month for me. I was planning to sit out on this April’s madness too, but then I thought of something fun I haven’t tried yet – blackout poetry. But I’d been hesitant to try it out because a.) while I used to draw a lot when I was younger, I’m really rusty at it and b.) I wasn’t sure what to black out.

Then I noticed two galley proofs of my book laying around the house doing nothing but collecting dust. Heck yes I can work with those! I’m still pretty new at the black-out thing, so I’m giving myself a break and only doing them every other day. The end results will get posted on my Instagram account, though some will show up here too:


This one came from the introduction

OK, it’s too soon to say if that one will be a favorite. I’ll just have to make more to find out. If I’m happy at the end of this month’s experiment, I’ll probably do more of these. Emily Autumn once wrote “If leeches ate peaches instead of my blood, then I would be free to drink tea in the mud.” I’d like to feel free to mix visual art and poetry more, and stuffing a giant peach of practice down the leech of self-doubt’s throat during NaPoWriMo might help me out with that. 

So tell me dear Groovers, are any of you giving NaPoWriMo a whirl? Or have you ever jumped into any challenges (either online or in meatspace) as a fun way to improve a skill? Tell me all about it in the comments section, or just talk to me about how your week is going. If you’d like to continue the conversation on your cyberhome, drop the link in with the rest of your comments. I’d love to visit.


28 comments:

  1. Not doing NaPoWriMo but in the middle of two challenges- one the manuscript (sigh) and the other is a series of 6-line poems inspired by Tao Te Ching. Here's a link to the second in the series...rest will be posted on my blog/instagram as I write.. https://thotpurge.wordpress.com/2019/03/30/sweeter-in-its-silence/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like plenty of work to do without taking on NaPoWriMo. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. LOL, I'm curious to see how I'll manage it. It's been awhile since I allowed myself to doodle.

      Delete
  3. A very brilliant idea doodling or blackout poetry using your proofs. I shall try it too in some faraway future for fun. :D

    As for NaPoWriMo, I'm doing it half-hardheartedly as I've got too many things going on right now to give it my full attention. But generally, I suck at challenges; I can't keep the rules or I get bored. Yet they are a great way to practice and improve writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I always end up bending some rule or another too. :D But I'm curious to see how this month will end up.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I like the illustration and of course, I am all for the right mix of sweet and savoury. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anmol. It's been awhile since I touched my colored pencils so we'll see how this experiment turns out. :D

      Delete
  5. Meh. I did a verse-thing-a-day one year, but it's already too late this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are plenty of other ways to challenge oneself :)

      Delete
  6. I am doing the prompts from the 'toads', as I have done for a few years now. For the most part I like them better than those available elsewhere, and also love and admire the calibre of the poets I get to read in return.

    You and Magaly are so creative with erasures! Mine seem laborious by comparison, on my rare attempts. I love the combination of poetry and visual art, as well as sweet and savoury flavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well, it's only my first one. I'll see how it goes the rest of the month. :)

      Delete
  7. April is a busy month for me too but I do love challenges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to give in to the call of a challenge :)

      Delete
  8. I really like the dance between dark and whimsy and sweet and savory... Not too scary, not too flighty, not to sweet, not too bloody (um, I mean, not too salty) but just right. It tastes good on the reading taste buds.

    About NaPoWriMo and such, well... I sooo wish I could do them all. I want to. But, I think, that even if I had time to do all 30, I still wouldn't do the challenge on a public. I partook a couple of times and ended up exhausted. I'm still writing a poem every day, but posting them and reading and responding to others... just too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely true. This is a challenge that requires a ton of energy.

      Delete
  9. I participated a few times in the Blogging challenge in April from A to Z and I really had fun doing them. Life has just been too busy though and I know I cant commit when knowing I would fail before I started. April is a very busy month for me. I love love love your blackout poetry! I recently came across some of that on Pinterest and I want to try it out myself pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh coolness! I hope your share the stuff you create. :)

      Delete
  10. Well I for one really love your version of "blackout" poetry...I think you need a new name for it as it is so pretty with the little doodles, and using your own book pages is a fab idea :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's something cathartic about going through the "mistake" versions of my book and reworking them to be something cool and new.

      Delete
  11. Oh, I love blackout poetry/art, and to create it from your own book pages makes it even more wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just really happy I found a use for the galley proofs. They weren't sparking joy and I felt weird about tossing them, so this was a great alternative.

      Delete
  12. Let everything flow Rommy! You're doing amazing! I think it's brilliant that you are using your own book pages! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back! Thank you so much for your support.

      Delete