He’s My Cup of Tea: Blogging Around with Rommy Week 19



“If you are cold, tea will warm you;
if you are too heated, it will cool you;
if you are depressed, it will cheer you;
if you are excited, it will calm you.”
― William Ewart Gladstone


He’s my cup of tea,
surprisingly mellow to a tongue
that’s only tasted bitter brews before.

Curiousity made me sip
his sweetness. I was addicted
the moment my lips drank him in.


This poem is linked to Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads' Tuesday Platform.



Liner Notes for this Groove: When my husband and I started dating, we agreed it was just going to be a fling. He was a senior you see, graduating in a few months, and I had another year of college to go. Plus there was a bigger concern. He came from a family of observant Jews and my family was Latin American and devoutly Catholic. Nobody saw this relationship lasting more than a couple of months, least of all us.

So this week we’re celebrating our 24th wedding anniversary. We’ve survived language barriers (he only passed high school Spanish by promising the teacher he’d never take it again), religion changes (well I did convert to being something other than Catholic), kids, and other assorted mayhem. He’s been more than my rock, he’s been my cup of tea—filled to the brim with warmth when things got cold, and encouragement when I needed to take on the world.

So Groovers talk to me about your week. What’s good in your world? If you’d like to take the conversation to your blog, make sure to include a link to your cyberspace in your comments.

Song choices: I felt I needed to pick two songs for this, one for each of us. First up, Love Will Never Do (Without You) by one of my childhood favorites, Janet Jackson. Second, is a song we both really love, Stuck like Glue by Sugarland, but a special AMV video version featuring Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable (the husband often says that I’m his Kim Possible – yes he’s as nerdy as I am).

Mazel Tov by HotRod2001



31 comments:

  1. I like that quote and how a person can be another's cup of tea! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a great deal of self-fanning (and grinning), I reread the poem to delight in the imagery... and the love. I just love that after 24 years, your love has only grown stronger (and more fan-worthy).

    I can't even imagine you and Eric not together. You fit so well, and are fantastic at turning differences (and mayhem) into relationship food.

    Happiest (early) anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my bit for this week:

      https://magalysblog.blogspot.com/2019/05/no-your-misery-cant-have-my-company.html

      Delete
    2. *snickersnort* I had every intention of keeping it just sweet, then that came out. Eric didn't seem to mind it when he read it though. :D

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Debra! Much sushi was eaten, though his had brown rice.

      Delete
  4. Happy anniversary! What a sweet tribute to your guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. LOL, a sweet guy deserves a sweet treatment.

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary, Rommy!❤️ This is such a heartwarming write!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sipping sweetness, how lovely. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sipping helps me savor the taste longer. Thanks Sherry!

      Delete
  7. That’s a very British saying, that someone’s your cup of tea! Congratulations on 24 years, Rommy, with your mellow brew!
    This week I’ve entered two competitions, one with a short story and the other with a piece of flash fiction. I’ve not been having luck with submissions lately, so I have my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always said tasty tea was conducive to true love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet drink and a lovely ode to your hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your poem and also the quotation. It's so true, though I never thought of tea that way before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna! It's kind of my thing for my Tuesday blog posts to find a good tea quote that works with what I'm writing about. LOL, a friend challenged me to do it for a year. :D

      Delete
  11. Such loving words...I feel the same about my hubby, and our relationship started in a similar fashion. People gave us 3 weeks lol After 3 weeks of being "good companions" he proposed and we've been together for 37 years.(still good companions) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People pulled me aside too, to let me know this didn't have much of a chance to work out. LOL these 24 years with the hubs has been wonderful on its own, but I love the added bonus of proving people wrong. :D

      Delete
  12. Happy Anniversary and continued blessings over your marriage. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. my lips drank him in...that is so sweet...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy, Happy Anniversary to you and yours. Twenty fours years is a milestone. Yes, love always wins (above all challenges) and it's beautiful to celebrate...*raising my glass to many many more years filled with love and happiness.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! We're at that point where the years we've been together are more than the years we haven't been. I'll definitely raise a glass to all the years I can get. :)

      Delete