One Seed, Ten Thousand Seeds: Blogging Around with Rommy Week 18


The shade of a blessed tree watches over the seedlings that came from one righteous act. One of six thousand good deeds seems so small against the six million lost in lightning and storms, in the showers that choked. But to see the seedlings growing strong and true to their roots, in this place where my grafted limbs have been trained to do justice to the sublime green—this sends a fresh seed into my heart for me to treasure when I am weary in the fight for the soil I’ve been planted in.

A modest hero
defined by quiet resolve
and strange defiance
inspires my jaded heart
to go and resist again.



Liner Notes for This Groove: I was so very honored to be part of a special friendship tea ritual Urasenke Philadelphia held in honor of the son of Chiune Sugihara (a Japanese diplomat who saved 6,000+ Jews during WWII) and the son of one of the people he saved, Rabbi Shimon Goldman. I’ve often had reason to agree with the quote “Where there is tea, there is hope” by Arthur Wing Pinero. But I felt especially hopeful serving tea that afternoon.


This was the set up we used for the ceremony. I know it isn't very visible but the script on the tea container translates to "One Seed, Ten Thousand Seeds." Tea tools are chosen very carefully to suit the occasion. I think that this was the perfect tea container for that day.

This poem is linked to Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads' Tuesday Platform.



How's your week been dear Groovers? Anything making you feel a little hopeful? Catch me up with your world in the comments section. And feel free to work in a link in your comments if you want to take the discussion onto your cyberhome.

30 comments:

  1. AH! It is so wonderful to feel that resolve again to keep on resisting against the forces that divide us and maim our humanity.
    Those seedlings shall grow strong and give us hope. Beautifully penned! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anmol. It's not always easy to find that resolve, so I'll hold on to anything that gives me hope, even if it's only for a second.

      Delete
  2. “Where there is tea, there is hope”.. sigh I absolutely love that!❤️ Your poem reminds me how significant the trees are and how little most people give them attention. Their shade offers us such relief from the sun and the heat. It's Ramadan in my part of the world .. so the days are a bit hectic. As for the question of feeling hopeful .. well lets just say I am almost always optimistic!❤️ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my mad respect in your religious observance of Ramadan. That sounds hard core to someone like me who pouts if I go too long without rice!

      Delete
  3. There are some very good people out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are. And if we are very lucky we can borrow a little of their goodness to spread good things of our own. :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful, that birth and life continued on from so many lost. Thankfully. A wonderful poem, Rommy, and the tea must have felt both reverent and hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did. I find a lot of peace in my practice of tea to begin with. And to get the chance to offer this kind of hospitality to people I respect on this level was a wonderful thing. :)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful point of view... the seedlings are like the children of the resilient tree... seedlings are like resistance I think

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta resolve to resist Rommy...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where there is tea, there is hope- how accurate is that!!! Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I always start my mornings with a big cup of hope. :D

      Delete
  8. Lovely, lovely words ... hope is never ending. I am off to see Garth on June 29th in Eugene Oregon, cannot wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He puts on an AMAZING show. The hubs and I saw him ages ago, before we had kids.

      Delete
  9. lovely...i love the modest hero image...i want to meet him...bkm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sugihara-san passed away a bit ago, but his son carries on his legacy as a speaker for peace.

      Delete
  10. What an honour, indeed to be part of something so special! Your tea does take you places, isn't. I find the whole Japanese Tea Ceremony amazing, and I'm intrigued to hear how did you get into it, to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... well, I am a nerd...

      Anime. It all started with anime. After watching a couple of them with mythological themes (Fushigi Yuugi, Inuyasha) I started getting intrigued with Japanese mythology and legends, and from there got very interested in culture.

      The funny thing is it's such a mellow practice, that people might not see someone like me (who can go full on Pinkie Pie at a drop of a hat) be down for sitting still and mindfulness. But I've found a lot of joy in my practice and plan to keep going with it - at least for as long as my knees will let me! (And if my dad's knees are any indicator, my odds look really good.)

      Delete
  11. Through the words, I can see your smile and pride, the joy of being part of something magnificent... of seeing (and being) evidence that the world is not a complete mess. I love the tanka from here to the moon and dancing around in rainbows. Resisting (the bad) is magic!

    And here is my bit for this week:

    https://magalysblog.blogspot.com/2019/05/of-waiting-for-good-omens-and.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a small part I played, but this is what I study tea for. :)

      Delete
  12. How awesome to be part of the Japanese tea ceremony that honored someone so brave and heroic. What a special treat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tea school is always doing pretty cool things, but I'm especially proud to have been a part of this.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful, special and wonderful!! I would have been proud to be a part of this! Big Hugs Rommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even got to wear my book kimono! LOL, though I still need help tying the obi. :D

      Delete