Cosplay on!

I’ve always admired the geektasticness of cosplay. For those of you not as steeped in nerdiness as I am, cosplay is when folks dress in costumes meant to resemble their favorite characters in film, television, comics, books, etc. (here’s a quick little video to give you some visuals). Cosplay can be seen as a tribute of sorts to those works of art that inspire the cosplayer in some way.

The first time I cosplayed was my senior year in college with my then boyfriend (now husband).

We went as Green Arrow and Black Canary
as we both were really into that series back then.

I really haven’t done much cosplaying since then, because it can be a time consuming (as well as money consuming) hobby. But quite recently, my whole family is in planning mode. An honorary niece has a Bat Mitzvah coming up, and she has asked that her guests come in cosplay.

We’ve been joking around a bit about who we should dress up as. I’ve trying to convince my husband that Miss Crumble (Daybreak) and Koro-sensei (Assassination Classroom) could be a very workable couples' costume as they are both dedicated educators (who also happen to be batty). Darling Youngest is lobbying for something Steven Universe based (they want to be Steven and thought the hubby and I could be Greg Universe and Amethyst…they really don’t care what their older sibling does). The hubby would like to consider more options. Darling Eldest is in the middle of college classes but will probably figure out something during spring break.

I do know for sure what one of the cosplays will be. The Bat Mitzvah girl is a big reader and she wanted to base her cosplay around a short story she really liked…one of mine! The kiddo is going as Cordelia from “Make Mischief Not War”, from my short story collection, The Trouble with Wanting and Other Not-Quite Faerie Tales.

Yeah, I got misty-eyed. This is kind of bucket-list territory for me, having someone like one of my characters that much. I’m going to be so stoked to see “Cordelia” swing dancing in a ballroom.

Song Choice: Talk Nerdy to Me

So are there any cosplayers out there? Any suggestions for costume ideas? Feel free to make them in the comments section.

This blog post was created for Weekly Scribblings #7: This is a Tribute

50 comments:

  1. Awww, what a great and proud moment for any author when someone cosplays one of their characters! Congrats! That Bat Mitzvah is going to be a BLAST!

    I've never technically cosplayed per se, but My Rare One and I have gone as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson to a couple of costumed functions over the years. And no, not the steampunk Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law versions but the traditional Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce versions. And oh yes, we did go as Hogwarts' faculty witches to a Halloween party years ago when Harry Potter was big. I'd forgotten about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! LOL, I think I have my kids' old Harry Potter costumes running around but there are some things I'm too tall for. :D

      Delete
  2. Such a twist as this tribute is to you! You provided such a positive influence that having a tribute is such an honor. Well done on this piece and for being that inspiration to others.
    As a side, my #2 son went to a Chicago Comic-Con dressed as Okabe Renturo from Steins;Gate and found only one other person from that anime series there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of Steins;Gate. I'll have to check that one out. Lately we've been engrossed in both Assassination Classroom and My Hero Academia.

      Delete
  3. Nice story, you will enjoy. In 10th grade I was "the butler" for our class play wearing butler garb. Since there were only three in our class the three freshmen had parts as well as some 8th graders, possibly 7th as well. It was a two room rural school, our room had 7-9. I rode my horse those two years, 9 & 10. Also shot a pistol for my first time as a classmate had brought some real bullets for the butler's gun. We went during a part where we were both not-on-stage.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting this week. This tribute writing was a good idea.
      ..

      Delete
    2. Wow. Times sure have changed though! My husband keeps trying to get me to try horseback riding. Admittedly I'm a little nervous about that, but he'll probably end up winning me over.

      Delete
  4. Sounds fun. I suppose I Cosplay all the time, dressing like a human :) Although in the early 70s I was in a rock band and a DJ. I sometimes looked resplendent in full make-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I grew up in the 80's so am no stranger to glam and hair rock. My poor dad just shook his head at some of the posters I had on my wall.

      Delete
  5. Occasionally someone in my extended family will suggest something weird like this. Yes, it is fun and inevitably we all enjoy it but are nervous doing it none the less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, my family is the nerd equivalent of the Addams Family, so this is fairly normal.

      Delete
  6. I once tried dressing up like my father's favorite son. It didn't work, though; he still didn't like me much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort laugh* I tried dressing as the normal one in my family and that didn't work either.

      Delete
  7. I have friends who cosplay but they live in cities where such things happen, not in a small country town like me. I have fun hearing about it though; or, now, reading about it. Congratulations on inspiring the honorary niece's costume; that's huge! Can it get much better than that, for an author?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My small town is pretty quirky and I since I'm not far at all from Philly (or even NYC) so I know I'll get to dress up again.

      Delete
  8. This is so exciting, Rommy! Congratulations on inspiring another to base her costume from your short story collection! That's absolutely amazing!💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bat mitzvah sounds great fun. The last time I indulged I cosplay, I was Scherazade….a much younger day, for sure! I'd love to see a video of the bat mitzvah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A cosplay of Cordelia from Make Mischief Not War! ✍🏾🙌🏽I can understand why you got misty-eyed, it is a very thoughtful and wonderful tribute! Congrats, and have lots of fun at the Bar Mitzvah.💃🏾😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting Rommy! Can't wait to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like fun, Rommy! I’ve only ever seen cosplay on TV, in The Big Bang Theory. I understand how it can be seen as a tribute and wish it had been around when I was younger. I love the idea of guests coming in cosplay to a Bat Mitzvah or other celebration. But what a tribute to you, seeing one of your own characters as cosplay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, The Big Bang Theory ought to provide a good general idea of things. If you crossed it with the Addams Family, you'll have a rough idea of what my family'd vibe is like. :D

      Delete
  13. It's wonderful to have a companion such as you do. Cosplay on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't recall ever cosplaying Rommy - I think I have missed out on obvious adventures.
    Enjoy the Bat Mitzvah!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's part of nerd culture. LOL, you can always find a nerd and jump on in.

      Delete
  15. That sounds completely awesome! I'm not enough of a seamstress to be a cosplayer but we've noticed some material showing up in our local craft stores and the husband has that crafty look every time we walk past it...so maybe one day! I've seen some really good ones at local conventions and am still kicking myself that I never told the woman with the Static Shock costume (complete with glowing plasma ball) how great that costume was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so great at sewing either. I'm more of a modify thrift shop finds sort. But I do love crafting accessories. If Darling Youngest does decide to go as Steven Universe, I think it'd be loads of fun to try to make the shield.

      Delete
  16. This was interesting and fun. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please tell me you have some Black Canary pictures! Such a fantastic costume. I'm very excited to see what your Cordelia will look like through the eyes of your niece. And anything costume out of a series called Assassination Classroom will receive my approval, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either my friend Heather or Lynn Anne would have those. Oh and Assassination Classroom is definitely one to check out!

      Delete