Slash in Silken Iris

It was my favorite
Iris strewn
Purple silk
A nod to actors of old
who played any part they fancied
And, of course
A memory of a home
half a world
half a lifetime
far away

My siblings said it suited me
I asked a lover once
if sewn square sleeves
and summer's jewels
were too odd a combination
A kiss was the reply
It was my favorite 

This gash could have been avoided
had someone been a bit more compliant

Come to the city you say
You have a friend who can mend it like new
I suppose if I can trust you
with the child that I hold dear
I can trust you with this



Irises by Vincent VanGogh

Song Choice: Philadelphia by Bruce Springsteen
This poem was created from a prompt offered by Magaly Guerrero for NaPoWriMo (Day 11: Poem from the view of a fictional character). For this, I chose Yuuki, a character that has appeared in a few short stories on this blog. This poem bridges the gap between this story and a story that is likely too big for the blog, so I plan to release it with a few more short stories as part of a collection.

16 comments:

  1. Lovely writing and perfect picture choice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooow...Yuuki sounds a most interesting character :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm quite fond of how that story line is developing. :)

      Delete
  3. The landscapes you paint--of the kimono, of Yuuki's personality, and of the way the character lives--offer both harmony and chaos. The flowers set a quiet mood, something sweet and pretty, that is then broken by a slash cutting the silk.

    The second to the last stanza is my favorite: the smoothness, the violence (hey! we all have our thing), the light humor that widens the eyes and tells us so much about Yuuki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you saw all that. For fans of the story so far, there's quite a bit to be gleaned about Yuuki here. :)

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite Van Gogh's--and the misty blue-violet of its irises seems to suit this shadow-tale. "This gash could have been avoided/if someone had been more compliant'--love that, very open to a few different takes. Enjoyed this much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am very fond of that portion of this as well.

      Delete
  5. I like that she does the needful things even if something she loves is damaged in the process. Can hardly wait for the bigger piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather excited about writing it!

      Delete
  6. Square sleeves and summer jewels! Oh I miss that as well!
    I love this very much, a peak into HERSTORY perhaps? xo
    Love Bruce always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the tension of this poem's imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel like I managed a bit of a small story in there as well, so tension is a good thing.

      Delete
  8. I really like Yuuki. I hope you have big, big plans for her. =)

    ReplyDelete