Corgi and the Ramp


We aren’t 100% sure of how old our Kit is. The rescue organization estimated he was about 3, and we’ve had him for 6 years. That puts him at 9. Like our first dog, Faye, he’s a corgi. But unlike Faye, he’s lazy. He was a whopping 45 pounds when we adopted him, compared to Faye’s top weight at 19 pounds. And also unlike Faye, who was notoriously picky, Kit eats like he’s unsure of his next meal.

Corgis can develop back problems when they are too heavy. Despite our best efforts to whittle down his weight, things came to a head this last holiday season. We don’t know what his life was like before he came to us, but we do know he’s terrified of loud noises—whether it’s loud laughter, expressions of disgust during video games, or teen bickering. When things get noisy, Kit likes to retreat into our bedroom. The trouble is, that’s on the second floor. After a week of going up and down stairs several times a day, he was done.

The vet said it was vertebral disc injury, but it was too soon to tell how bad it was. His stomach wasn’t doing so great either, so mild meds, acupuncture, and rest (no stairs) were recommended. We got him a ramp to deal with the last issue.

He wasn’t keen on it at first. We tried to tempt him into using it by setting it up to go to the window seat. If he couldn’t chase squirrels, at least he’d be able to bark at them. He sniffed but refused to trust the odd new addition. We want to keep him less pudgy, but he was getting better enough to be sassy and try jumping up and down off things. Low-cal rewards were clearly the lesser evil. And it worked. 

I need to be fast folding it out, because he can be impatient and try a leap he has no business attempting. Still I’m thrilled that the acupuncture is working so well, and even more miraculously he doesn’t seem to mind it. We’ll still need to keep an eye on his back, but hopefully he has plenty of squirrel chasing years ahead of him.

Kit near his downstairs dog bed, wondering what I am doing.



Song Choice: Jump by Van Halen

This essay is linked to Poets and Storytellers United's Weekly Scribblings #4

30 comments:

  1. I’m glad you managed to teach this dog (some) new tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly dogs have such short lives compared to us and for all the love you get from them it seems so unfair you have them so short a time. I don't have one any more but get my dose of dogs love from my two daughters pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! It's good your daughters share their puppers' love with you. I know my dad loves spoiling Kit when he comes to visit.

      Delete
  3. Way to go, Kit! Glad the acupuncture and ramp are helping him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I am surprised that he's less suspicious of the acupuncture than the ramp though. :D

      Delete
  4. This was a nice write up about Kit. Rescue animals have various problems that we don't expect. Emotionally situations as well.
    Our Adi Beagle Dog's vet said keeping a dog thin and trim can add two years to their lives. Adi also hurt her back jumping up on the beds. We were to curtail her shaking of her pet teddy bear.
    The poodle in my picture has Katrin, who was willed to us when her owner died. She had a squirrel treed for the picture.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would say emotionally, he's a little on the anxious side. I try to focus on the fact he has a happy life with us, even if we can be noisy.

      Delete
  5. Lived a similar experience with several old...and beloved dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you've found solutions for the problems Kit is facing. The not being able to go up the stairs (without hurting himself) when he is scare sounds very troubling (thank goodness for ramps!). I also think that it's super cool that he has reacted well to acupuncture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to block off the bottom of the steps, because he still will try if things get noisy or if we all go upstairs for some reason, leaving him alone (like when I'm done folding laundry and try to bring it upstairs). He managed a couple of steps then stopped and barked with a sad look on his face until one of us went to get him to his bed.

      Delete
  7. Pets become family members, do they not? Kit sounds much loved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to know Kit is doing better. When our fur babies are sick, we are most miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He got a lot of belly rubs and cuddles, especially when he was really hurting at the beginning. He'll still take belly rubs, but he's twitchy to catch squirrels again. :D

      Delete
  9. Dogs are the best and I'm glad to hear your little Kit is doing better - I do hope for a continued recovery. Your doggies are lucky to be a part of such a loving family,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's doing really, really well so far. I think he'll still need to be carried upstairs for the rest of his life, but he has a lot of energy on level ground. :)

      Delete
  10. Thank you for introducing me to your lovely rescue corgi, Rommy. Years ago, a very close friend of mine had a dachshund that suffered from back trouble. They lived several floors up and, after years of him walking up the stairs, they had to carry him – not an option with Kit, I imagine. It’s amazing how dogs can adjust, and I’m so pleased he’s using his ramp to bark at squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband can lift him. LOL, I can too, but not gracefully enough to suit either one of us. He squirms like the dickens.

      Delete
  11. It's indeed difficult to teach a dog new tricks. But patience and time do yield results. It's good to hear he's got some relief from the acupuncture, and that he doesn't find the low-carb threats revolting. Here's to Kit's continued good health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low carb treats must taste better for dogs, LOL. But I suspect it's more because he isn't picky. :D

      Delete
  12. Aww. Sending extra hugs for Kit and hoping he gently eases back into squirrel chasing! I'm a big fan of acupuncture, myself. I'm glad it's working for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I get a lot of relief with my shoulder issues from acupuncture.

      Delete
  13. So glad Kit's feeling better. I can relate to you and how much you're willing to do for your friend. I have two and I understand what it means to love an animal companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those furry goofs manage to steal a fair bit of our hearts, don't they? :)

      Delete
  14. I would say Kit is extremely lucky to have found you. Pets are special. They are our fids (feathered or furred kids). They are part of the family. Kit is obviously part of yours. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dogs always appreciate your solutions for them. I have dog steps up to my bed, which is too high now for Murphy , Our dachshund, to jump. Since our bed is a necessity for him, it works fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kit has been known to cuddle with us in bed too. But he's also been a little bit of a pest when he thinks we've slept too much. :D

      Delete