For a Would-Be Spellslinger

First, you have to listen
for the under-rhythm pulsing
everywhere
from the stars to the earthworms.

This is where all true magic begins.
Pay attention,

to the ones that help you
not only to find the natural thrum
of your spirit, listen
for the ones that harmonize
with your softest chords.

Now you are ready to craft
music that shifts
possibilities to probabilities,
earning the title of spellslinger
with every newborn note.

Liner Notes for this Groove: This poem was created for Magaly's prompt at Poets and Storytellers United Friday Writings prompt, Such Inspiring Titles. The first book I read in 2023 was Spellslinger by Sebastien De Castell. My poem has nothing at all to do with the book (which was a heck of a lot of fun and a great way to kick off 2023's reading list).

12 comments:

  1. Indeed, a very evocative title! You have probably written the opening instruction in a book for both magic-workers and musicians. Or it should be, anyway. (And the book your piece was sparked by sounds worth investigating, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. It was as solid of a fantasy story as I could want. I had read a few in a different series by the same author, and it was cool to see how much his writing had grown from then.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful how you describe the magical process of music-making, especially the preparatory moment you speak of in the first stanza - the under-rhythm pulsing from her stars to the earthworms - love that! And now I'd love to know what is your instrument of choice? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooo, "spellslinger" -- I love that term! Makes me think of Old West witches in cowboy hats, boots and dusters meeting for a spellslinging showdown at the OK Corral at High Noon (or High Midnight?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what got my husband to pick up the book. Well, that and he was a fan of another series by the same author. He pestered me to read this one and I was happy I did. I needed something a little fun to start off what has so far been a rather trying year.

      Delete
  4. "newborn note" is such a hopeful idea... and that it should be conceived by paying attention to nature's song.. lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is, indeed, tantalizing to think of shifting desired possibilities into probabilities and then perhaps, with a dash of fate, into reality.

    ReplyDelete