NaNoWriMo 2013! (An Insecure Writer's Support Group Post)

This post is part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group




Between my last IWSG post and this one a lot has happened. The two biggest things of course were the passing away of a dear friend of the family's and the passing away of my dog, Faye. There have been points where I'm doubled over with grief, but there have been good days too. I remember my friend Mike once commenting on a story I once wrote. He was rather annoyed with me, because he felt my writing was good and it irked him I didn't do much with it.

I tend to be the kind of person who dismisses compliments, rationalizing that they are mostly out of fondness for my quirky self and not based on any actual merit. This annoys the hell out of my husband by the way. But I've had enough friends and family whose judgement I do trust telling me I need to give my writing a serious shot and NaNoWriMo's timing couldn't be more perfect, so here I am, testing out what I've got.

I can't completely put aside all of October's grieving - I'll probably be crying for quite a bit but I have done some writing I've been proud of during this period, and while I may not meet the word count at the end of November, I'll be pretty darn far along by then (and December looks relatively calm in terms of activity this year).

So New Moon, New Year (my fellow witchy folk understand what I'm talking about) and a new look for the blog. How do you like it? The artwork was created by the amazing Sunshine Shelle (I saw the original in her etsy shop and had to make it mine). And I owe a lot to Magaly Guerrero at Pagan Culture for helping me get the fine details just the way I like them (and for checking for typos). It's just what I needed to mark my new fresh start.

Get ready NaNoWriMo, because here I come!



I have found it is difficult for me to be sad and listen to Motown

15 comments:

  1. I just posted a comment, and it went poof when I hit "Publish." I'm testing before commenting again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm convinced Blogger hates me... Anyhoo, I said that Temptations is correct, "You're all right."

      Mike is probably grinning like a lunatic, telling all his heavenly friends, "See, I inspiring her. I'm just that awesome." And Faye barks to remind him that it is she who brings the best out of you.

      Writing is my fun, my therapy and my gift to self and others. It makes me very happy that you are accepting (and claiming) it in the same way. Write on!

      Delete
    2. LOL - I can see that too. And it makes me want to write. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love this new look. Sunshine Shelle's stuff has such a nice moody feel to them.

      Delete
  3. Your style and your wit are a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's sweet of you to say. Though a good deal of the credit for the style goes to Sunshine Shelle, fo her lovely artwork and Magaly for helping fine tune the details.

      Delete
  4. I am SO glad to see this. I'll be reading along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about the loss of your family friend and your dog. Grieving is a process that takes as long as necessary.

    I'm excited about the new moon and new year as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hard process. Just when I think I'm done, something hits me and I need to go off and have a good cry. I imagine the first birthdays without them will be rough.

      But yes a new start does help fill a person with a bit of hope. Enough to just start putting one foot in front of the other and go towards change - good change.

      Delete
  6. Losing someone you love, my heart goes to you sweet darlin', hope you are ok. Your blog is wonderful & I am honoured you chose my art (& Magaly's handy work) to be a banner for where you post you beautiful words, stories, thoughts & life insights :) hugs & thanks for letting me a part of it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me display your artwork with my blog! I can't wait for my picture to arrive...I'm having such fun planning where it will go best. I'm in love with all of the origami paper artwork you have up on etsy - the sakura picture was a close runner up in my mind and I love the momiji one as well (LOL, my mind keeps thinking I need to own the set and build blogger themes around them for the change of seasons!)

      Delete
    2. You made me blush - thank you, hope you get my artwork soon x

      Delete