Diva's Second Act


It took three days for Ai to realize she was a prisoner not a guest. She spent the first day on the shelf trying to shake off the despondency of leaving her friends behind in the attic. What she wouldn’t give to hear Yoshi-kun describe how he lit up a spring festival again. Even Matsu-san’s stuffy war stories would have been welcome, though they always happened during a storm. But what else could one expect from a general’s umbrella?

The second was spent trying to hear any traces of grace in the insensate notes played by children on other instruments. Even the accomplished geisha Hatsuko was a novice once, Ai told herself as she observed them from behind her glass case.

A month later, she could bear it no longer. No one noticed her. No one would ever play her again. Ai swooned. Her neck clicked against her cell.


“What’s this?” Mrs. Tanaka said turning towards the back wall of the music studio.

“Would you believe it?” Trina said. She motioned towards the old shamisen. “I found it with other junk in a client’s attic. They said I could keep it. I thought it looked pretty good there.”

“Hmm,” Mrs. Tanaka said, touching the case. “No bachi. Still lovely though. May I take her out?”

“Sure,” Trina replied. “Even if you break it, it didn’t cost me a dime.”

Mrs. Tanaka reached in. She heard the soft sigh with the first pluck of the string. “How much do you want for her?”

Trina regretted saying she got it for free. She probably could have asked for more. Still, it was money she didn’t have before. She laughed as they shook hands. “You know, sometimes I think this thing is a bit of a diva. It’s always falling over.”

 You don’t know the half of it, Mrs. Tanaka thought, cradling the shami-shōrō.

Ai smiled.


Shamichouro-Kotofurunushi-Biwabokuboku illustration by Matt Meyer
curator of one of the most informative and beautiful sites devoted to yokai lore, yokai.com 
as well as author of two amazing books, The Night Parade of  One Hundred Demons: a field guide to Japanese Yokai
and  The Hour of Meeting Evil Spirits: an Encyclopedia of Mononoke and Magic.


Liner Notes for this Groove:

A shamisen is a traditional Japanese stringed instrument. A bachi is a flat, ice scraper shaped object used to play a shamisen. It's a little like a guitar pick in function. A shami-shōrō is a shamisen once owned by a virtuoso player that has attained sentience.

This short fiction was composed as a response for Magaly Guerrero’s prompt Telling Tales with Magaly Guerrero:A Pantry of Prose over at Poets United. The poem it was based on was Lament of a Shami-Shoro.



43 comments:

  1. To enjoy the story I had to have a clear idea of what a Shami chōrō is. Nice that Mrs Tanaka won. love the use of 'cradle' here. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I was so happy to fit in the time to write a story I forgot to add an explanation of term. I added that in now. Thanks Sumana.

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful story of personification... there is nothing more sad than an instrument imprisoned and stuck away. To be freed and plucked is a great thing for any instrument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. She was literally made for music.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful tale, in both verse and prose. Quite fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the subtlety , how the shami choro became valuable once someone else wanted it. I am sure Mrs. Tanka will treasure her and will provide her with the happy and useful environment that she will thrive and grow in! A fun tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will certainly be a happier life than being used as a knickknack

      Delete
  5. If I were Ai, I would go all diva, too, in self-defense. To be kept from the sort of life that feeds one soul is too close to death for anyone's liking.

    I really love that we get to glimpse at the world from the point of view of the instruments and of people. A real treat. And a yummy example of my favorite sort of anime fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree. Being demoted to a random shelf decoration when all she needed was someone who knew how to play her (and knew that the missing pick/ bachi was an easy thing to replace) probably drove her mad. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. Love your use of personification for Ai. I often look at musical instruments used as decoration and wonder if they regret losing their voices. I’m glad she found someone who understood her need to sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all anyone really needs is someone who understands their need so sing, whether we are a sentient musical instrument or not. :)

      Delete
  7. I LOVE this story so much, love her realizing she was a prisoner, not a guest, her head falling over in despair at never being played again, and her smile as she was carried away in more knowing hands. Superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me really thinking about the character to come up with that first line. I'm glad I was able to express her heart within the word count limitations. That's always tricky for me!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Me too! The original poem didn't have a happy ending but I thought Ai deserved one. :)

      Delete
  9. What a lovely, magical tale! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  10. I love how your gave this musical instrument life...and freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is lovely!❤️ I loved the personification you used for Ai. I wonder if musical instruments can hear our thoughts when we play them and appreciate the music that they make!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, wow, wow! I LOVE this. Instruments are alive! And this one, with name an thoughts and day to day count . . . I love that she is rescued by someone who could here her,. having just read the novel "Sing, Unburied, Sing" I'm singing for magic realism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! That sounds like something I ought to check out.

      Delete
  13. What a cool direction you went in with this piece - a real creative idea wonderfully developed. I don't think I've ever read anything quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The personification and beautiful view point is absolutely wonderful Rommy! I love this so enchanting and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful, enchanting tale! I love that you brought the instruments to life in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, the fact you personified the instrument struck me right in my stringed heart. My girls play stringed instruments and when they leave them sitting in their cases, untouched. I so feel the loss of music. Love the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I hope you get to hear their music again.

      Delete
  17. Really enjoyed this! Glad she found someone to play her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A delightful tale of the unused and neglected becoming treasured once again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this tale Rommy! I love the happy ending too.
    Rommy, are you Japanese? Or have it in your heritage? I've always wanted to ask you that. My mom has quite a few Japanese friends, and I love going over to their houses for tea and sushi! I love learning about different cultures!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I can tell, nope. Ancestry.com has also ruled that out. But there are a lot of Japanese in Peru, the country both my parents are from (I was born in the USA)

      Delete