Alice and the Not-Rose

“Contagion,” screeched the Red Queen as she pointed to the odd flower. “Who betrayed me?”

Her retinue of cards threw themselves at her feet, jabbering apologies. “Shall I pull it out, my Queen?” one asked.

“Pull? One of my precious roses? Off with his head!”

As the rest of the cards dragged the questioner away, Alice looked at the flower again. Remembering it was important to curtsy first, she asked, “Majesty, I don’t understand. You said this flower was a contagion, but you don’t want it pulled.”

The Queen rolled her eyes. “No rose of mine could be a contagion, you simple child. It’s been contaminated! Who did it? That gardener? I never trusted her.”

“Majesty, are you sure this is a rose?”

“I am surrounded by fools,” she said, rubbing her temples. “Child, where are we standing now?”

“Your rose garden.”

“And what grows in rose gardens?”

“Roses?”

“Precisely. Therefore, this is a rose that must have been infected into forgetting itself.”

“Is it possible that a different sort of flower had been planted?”

The Queen turned an angry red. “Are you saying I am mistaken about what grows in my garden? Only roses are planted and only roses grow here! Something infected it.” The Queen started examining the earth around the flower, then noticed the book Alice held. “What were you doing here?”

“Reading a book about flowers from around the world. See, there are sunflowers, orchids, lilies…”

The Queen reared back. “You did this! You gave my poor rose ideas of being something else.”

Alice was fairly sure that wasn’t how things worked. She watched dumbfounded as the Queen put a large pot over the flower. “Now it’s protected. Get out or I’ll have your head!”

Alice left, but returned later that evening. She lifted the pot, then dug up the flower. Using the pot to carry it out, she took it to the Cheshire Cat’s woods where she replanted it.

“There. I’m really not certain what sort of flower you are,” Alice said. “But you were hardy enough to survive this afternoon. You’ll be happier here.”

The flower said nothing but released a sweet fragrance. Taking that as a good sign, Alice left.

The Red Queen by Mark Tonelli


Song Choice: Painting the Roses Red from Alice in Wonderland

This piece of flash fiction was created for Poets and Storytellers United Weekly Scribblings #9: Contagion.

47 comments:

  1. The Red Queen reminds me of someone . . . but I can't quite put my finger on who . . . lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snickersnort* I think many of may have met her in one form or another.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! I'm glad Alice and the flower both got away with it. A lovely portrayal of arbitrary unreasonableness on the part of the Red Queen. (And I like the Helena Bonham-Carter portrayal of her, pictured.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contagion in Wonderland, no less! I enjoyed this so much, Rommy! Hooray for Alice, for rescuing the fragrant flower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice was brave (as we all know) so let's hope white rabbit doesn't tell on her if he was there too.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dang rabbit! But I think Alice and flower got away cleanly.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love this, Rommy! Alice was wise to rescue the flower and plant it in Cheshire Cat’s woods.💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I grinned any wider right now, I might get stuck as the Joker's cousin or something. This is such a fantastic story, Rommy. I love what it says about origins, about how our roots and soil are important but they aren't what makes us, we are the result of our heart and soul and choices. I bet the Queen will screech and threaten for a while, but... this is a battle she can't win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I hope she has tea and a throat lozenge or two to tide her over after the screaming

      Delete
  7. I love this beyond words! A great message slipped into a splendid story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always luv a good take on The Wonderland adventures

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an imaginative story in Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the circular logic trap. I know too many people like this. Your story reminded me of each one of them, fondly as I don't have any dealings with them anymore.
    Hurrah for young Alice is saving the flower that would have been certainly destroyed. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah for leaving that madness behind! LOL

      Delete
  11. Your stories always leave me wanting to know what happened next. Wanting to turn the page for just a little more. Reaching.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully conjured Rommy... I found myself reading it so eagerly... Also a telling fable for the moment we find herself in right now, for sure

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent portrayal of Wonderland - and I can think of quite a few people over the years who used similar logic. So it was quite a social commentary, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh...yep. Sadly that sort of reasoning can be found outside of Wonderland too.

      Delete
  14. So lovely to read an Alice adventure (I wondered where she went to!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like this is a story that should be included as part of the original. Alice's questions and the queen's responses epitomize the importance of thinking for yourself. How someone else's thoughts and beliefs are not always valid no matter how they may rationalize them. It's important also to learn how to deal with an irrational person, Alice didn't lose her head. I like the juxtaposition with contagion. Are ideas catching?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely story and the Red Queen...I had to laugh. Glad Alice found a place for the flower to flourish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely retelling of Carroll. Some rulers also want only one kind of flower in their gardens. Carroll could well have said, "Let hundred flowers bloom!". Brilliantly done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love this story which portray one of many stories that could be told about the queen... These days anything relating to megalomania makes it all too real. On another line of thought your story made me think about William Blake's poem "The Sick Rose"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... sometimes watching world events unfold feels like I've been transported to Wonderland

      Delete
  19. The story between the lines has so many possibilities in this present world of ours...
    Good old Alice - doing the right thing.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, there's a bit to see bouncing around between the lines. :)

      Delete
  20. What marvelous flash fiction! I wonder if the Red Queen judges people as she judges the flowers in her garden!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh this made me smile! Sweet take!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Being the Wonderland freak that I am, this resonated with me from the start. Great writing, and characterization. Are you sure the Red Queen was not Orange??

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you dear Rommy for giving us this fantastic story. Highlighting factors such as origins, roots and soil in which one is born, etc. are vital but that is not what gives us the value of who we really are but it is our heart and soul and finally the right choices we make. Happy Alice got away with the flower and hope she does not let the Red queen win this war.

    ReplyDelete