Not So Small Hero


Koji looked at the assorted items he’d gathered and hoped it was enough. He’d never attempted magic before. Pushing down the feeling of panic that was threatening to burble out of his stomach and into his throat, he shouted the words to finish the rite.

Koji blinked and looked around him. Where was the powerful kami the ritual should have summoned? He hung his head, about to limp away, until he heard a tiny cough followed by a slurping noise. He looked down. Sitting in front of him was a tiny yokai with a bird’s beak and three fish tails drinking a bowl of tea. It gazed up at him with its large eyes. He could not decide if it was more adorable or grotesque. Either way, he knew he should still be polite.

“Hello,” he said.

“Hello,” she trilled. “Would you care for some tea?”

“No, thank you. I’m sorry to have bothered you. I was hoping to summon someone, er, bigger.”

She blinked at him again. “Why?”

 Koji flushed and looked away. “I had hoped they could train me. To be a strong warrior, like my brother was.”

“I wouldn’t be much help there. Are you sure that’s what you wanted?”

“Yes! He saved so many, like a hero in a story. I want to be one too, even though—”

“Oh, I see now. I can help you.”

“You can teach me to fight?” Koji’s eyes widened.

“No,” she said. “I’ll help you save lives.”

“How?”

“I’ll give you knowledge.”

“How will that help?”

“Have you heard people wishing they could go back to such and such time to do something that would have made a situation better? The moment to act is now. I’ll tell you what actions to take. But they will be simple, not the stuff of stories. You’ll get no praise or reward from anyplace other than your heart. Will that do?”

Koji thought of his brother and nodded. She told him of a coming plague and how to stay safe. When she finished, she gave him her tea bowl, which grew to fit his hands.

“Share the knowledge as you would share tea,” she said before disappearing.

"Thank you," he replied.


Liner Notes for This Groove: This short story was created for Poetry and Storytellers United's Weekly Scribblings #13: All the Small Things. It was inspired by an Atlas Obscura article about a healing spirit known as Amabie. You can also find out more about Amabie at Yokai.com After reading about her, I couldn't help by try my hand at drawing her too.




47 comments:

  1. Oh what a wonderful story Yes with that knowledge he can save lives Very clever

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Share the knowledge as you would share tea,” oh how I love that!!💝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about sharing tea. Well, maybe not during *this* time, but you get what I mean. :D

      Delete
  3. Rommy, how wonderful! First of all, your story is absolutely lovely, and you drawing a delight, so full of joy and goodwill. And then, the background information is of course perfect at this time.As I am not the artist you are, I am going to use your drawing as my talisman for protection – whilst remembering also the wisdom that has already been shared about how to defeat this plague.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story is becoming more and more magical, Rommy! I love the humour: ‘he heard a tiny cough followed by a slurping noise’ and ‘Sitting in front of him was a tiny yokai with a bird’s beak and three fish tails drinking a bowl of tea’; as well as the wisdom of the yokai and the fact that she is female!
    I like the hint at the corona virus in: ‘She told him of a coming plague and how to stay safe.’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a challenge to get in all the details I want in a story and have them land the way I'd hoped. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  5. Her response to 'how will that help' is beyond wonderful. As is your bit of artwork. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think his brother was the big bruiser blackbird that protects the fountain for the others of his kind while they bathe and drink. He is really mean to the doves and mockingbirds.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, spending any amount of time bird watching can be a trip. The blue jays rule a portion of my neighborhood with an iron wing.

      Delete
  7. she looks like a happy little mermaid and sounds like any ordinary little sister who looks up to a bigger brother

    Happy Wednesday Rommy. Thanks for today's prompt

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a reminder that there are more heroes in the world that we never hear about. In silence they have saved many, maybe hundreds or even thousands. No credit given, nor taken.
    This story could be the start of something bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you get older you realize any knowledge you have will be wasted unless you pass it on. How wise for some that do that now as a matter of habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowledge is a precious legacy we pass on to those that come after. We can only hope they will use it well.

      Delete
  10. Your story is adorable and I love your drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rommy, I LOVE this one. The ease of their exchange left me smiling. And the wisdom of this small hero's teachings left me nodding. So, timely too. I suspect there some months from now--heck, probably right now--many people will be wishing they could go back to take a bit of knowledge seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Three fish tails makes this perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's the best kind of magic - and the tea, of course. Enjoyed your story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Captivated by the story and the new (to me) piece of folklore. The politeness in the face of strangeness made me smile, but the passing of the tea cup brought a catch in the throat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get misty thinking about all the times I shared tea before, especially wondering when I'll get the chance to do it again.

      Delete
  16. Wonderful story, Rommy, and wonderful little spirit. May we keep sharing this particular cup of tea, and perhaps even moreso, may those who have been resistant become willing to accept it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things should always be shared whenever possible

      Delete
  17. What a wonderful read! And I enjoyed the Amabie backstory as well. A super post … interesting … edifying … and creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Folklore always inspires me. I was delighted to get to share this little yokai's story.

      Delete
  18. I love your story and I love your drawing! Priceless!
    Rommy, please keep safe and healthy!! Thinking of you! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay healthy too! The world needs your art. <3

      Delete
  19. I enjoyed your tale. It's a pleasant diversion in troubled times!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great story perfect for the times we are living

    ReplyDelete
  21. From small things, knowledge and larger hearts. Absolutely love this, Rommy. I can see it as a child’s book for any time, especially ours.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perfect for the time. So well written!

    ReplyDelete