Testing the Foundation

It would hold. She was sure of it.

Mattea forced herself to take three deep breaths. She started going over her makeshift shelter, testing every joint and connection one more time while ignoring the bile-green color spreading over Evoris’s sky.

Some had liked to say it was a miracle she had gotten into the academy, let alone be chosen for one of the teams actually exploring the terran-like worlds. Mattea herself might admit that her surviving the crash that killed the rest of the crew could qualify as miraculous. But she had worked hard and learned well. Those lessons and her determination made for a rock-solid foundation, one she hoped was enough to ensure she’d built a shelter strong enough to make it through the rapidly approaching storm.

Mattea was inside before the full fury of it hit. The howling winds were unlike anything she’d ever heard before, but the shelter held. She allowed herself to give into her drowsiness once the storm’s cacophony died down. 

She’d told herself she’d make it through the night. Tomorrow morning she’d start comparing what she learned about Evoris in the academy to what was really there. And what she could work with until a rescue ship came. She hoped.


Song Choice: Have You Ever Seen the Rain by Creedence Clearwater Revival


This flash fiction was created for the prompt given over at Poets and Storytellers United's Weekly Scribbling prompt, Foundation

33 comments:

  1. That sounds very testing indeed! I hope it's part of a longer tale and we'll get more episodes. There's so much more I want know, now that I've made Mattea's acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping track of which of my word doodles have a potential to be something bigger. :)

      Delete
  2. You have a great knack Rommy in writing prose in such a way as to take your reader close to the action of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was immediately drawn into this... and, yes I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Maybe we need to build our own rescue ship. Remember Noah?

      Delete
    2. A rescue ship, self-made or outsourced, sounds good right around now.

      Delete
  5. Nice story, bravo, starting on such good foundation. It has to be fabulous.

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've set the scene so well. Now for the storm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mattea will survive. People who think like her--emphasis on "think"--always find a way. I really like that she acknowledges that her academy teachings might not be all the knowing she needs. Forgetting the difference between training and living can get a person killed.

    Also, I love the name of the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely looked at this as a chance to mess around with character development and see what I could say about her in 369 words or less. I am stoked that all this came across.

      Delete
  8. A thoroughly enjoyable piece of sci-fi flash fiction, Rommy! I don’t think I could ignore the bile-green sky, let alone survive a crash and build a shelter. I hope that rescue ship arrives soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I don't usually dip into sci-fi, but thought it'd be fun to try.

      Delete
  9. Oh my. I cannot imagine being totally alone (on another planet?). It is so scary just to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to develop such a strong mood

      Delete
  10. Don't know how I missed this earlier, Rommy, but let me just say WOWZA!!!!
    And as I read it, a downpour began and the gusts issuing it in shook the window.
    I was THERE. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That image of a bile green sky is going to stay forever, right!! Hope there's more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was awesome! Definitely built the world and gave me a shiver as the storm approached.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your talent for flash fiction is immense! You draw us in immediately, and leave us pining for more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i liked it that you leave the story open-ended. we are rooting for her. will the rescue ship come in time? will Mattea survive? will she call the new planet home?
    enjoyed the tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And...

    This is a good start, Rommy. There are so many questions but what happens next?

    ReplyDelete