- Because though her boots and umbrella don’t match, they’re both cute in their own way and should be seen and used for splashing.
- Because even though yesterday was a wash day, she’s got an interesting hat (that also doesn’t match) to protect her hair.
- Because spreadsheets will still be there when she gets back, but rainstorms are now.
- Because there’s nothing like a good shower to get over a block. It works for writing, why not this?
- Because she can imagine she’s attending a cherry blossom funeral, watching yesterday’s petals get swept along the roadways, and out to the drains that lead to something bigger somewhere else.
- Because no one stops to make small talk in the rain.
- Because the rain doesn’t care if you leak water too.
- Because there has to be a rainbow at the end of all this, dammit. I haven’t been out here all this time just to go inside without seeing a rainbow.
- Because angry-splashing so hard that rainwater makes it up and inside my boot makes me laugh.
- Because I feel there’s something mad and lovely about laughing in the rain too.
- Because I see a neighbor giving me an odd look out the window, and that makes me laugh harder until the rain slows down.
- Because petrichor.
- Because it might be little, but, finally, there’s that rainbow I needed.
Song Choice: I Like to Walk in the Rain by Shirley Temple
Liner Notes For This Groove: This poem was created for Poets and Storyteller United's Weekly Scribblings prompt, Listmania.