Alliances

 “Can I learn to sword fight?” Anna asked.

“Sure!”

“No.”

“Why?” Yuuki asked.

He looked at Ajani. Last week, Yuuki would have thought the African fae’s agreement was an attempt to access Anna’s human energy. Now, he knew Ajani was enthralled by anything to do with sword play.

“I’m a sword blerd—OK, a blerd in general,” Ajani admitted to Yuuki while trying to convince him to watch another human movie.

Yuuki looked at Rina. Anna’s aunt still didn’t trust him. He could feel it the moment she threw an energetic shield around her niece. It was a powerful one, easily able to stop a lesser fae and slow down a powerful one, if it meant her harm.

Ajani reached out to touch Anna on her nose. “Boop,” he said.

Anna giggled.

Yuuki ruffled the child’s hair. “Your wards are as strong as ever Rina-san, but as you can see there is no intent to harm Anna. Anna-chan, I still want to know why. The truth now. It’s only fair since I’m sworn to tell you the truth. You promised to never ask me to do something I’m not comfortable with, and I’m not comfortable without the truth.”

“The sword fight you had in Philly sounded cool,” Anna said.

“It was,” Ajani agreed.

“And learning magic with Titi Rina was cool,” Anna added. “I guess, it’s just, you’re both cool.”

Something in the way she held her head sparked Yuuki’s memory. I want to be just like you, big brother, Giichi had said. The pain blindsided him for a moment. He looked at Rina’s anxious expression.

“Fine, on two conditions. Firstly, promise me you won’t go out seeking fights. Second, your aunt must approve.”

“Please, Titi Rina. Pleeeease.”

“We can discuss things privately if you’d like,” Yuuki said to Rina.

“I’d expect the same level of honesty you have with Anna. At minimum.”

Clever, he thought. But not unexpected. A proper witch had to be.

Yuuki bowed, his three fox tails swishing. “Of course.”

“I get to help too,” Ajani said.

“If we come to an agreement,” Yuuki and Rina said at the same time.

 Rina smiled.

Alliances have been built on less, Yuuki thought. This was a start.


Liner Notes for this Groove: This bit of flash fiction is linked to the Friday Writings at Poets and Storytellers United.

16 comments:

  1. I love it! A wonderful excerpt to share because it is open-ended, leading one to hope for more, yet reveals enough to be complete in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely from a future book, not the one I'm working on now. But it is interesting to take the jump to see where Yuuki was (the book I'm working on now) to who he will be (a future book).

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to the resulting swordplay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there will definitely be a ton in the first book (the one I'm working on now)... and definitely more in the future too.

      Delete
  3. Don't go looking for fights. Good advice
    Bravo! A lovely excerpt

    Happy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading a chapter of an anime tale. :)
    enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am DELIGHTED by that comment. I'm hoping the novel I'm working on will capture some of that anime feel, but for an audience who grew up loving those stories (just the way I did).

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. We shall see... it most certainly will be put to the test.

      Delete
  6. very engaging, I hope you'll continue on and post more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I won't be able to resist putting out some bits that may or may not be part of the future novel every now and then. I'm constantly thinking in terms of Yuuki's arc, especially as I'm doing a deep dive into who he is in this first novel.

      Delete
  7. It is always wonderful to see two powerful beings, with powerful personalities, find middle ground. Lessons in sword fighting and on witchcraft--Anna is a very lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mean who DOESN'T want to sword fight?

    ReplyDelete