Waiting for Crocus

If I stand here long enough
I might see a crocus bloom.
But I’d likely freeze to death

before that happened.
Only my bones left
when the snow has melted

to see the purple fingers
of newborn crocus
reaching for the sky.

My ribcage could be
a serviceable cathedral

for mousely vows
said under springtime moons
and earthworm princes
to find the objects of their quests.

I’m afraid I’m too selfish to share
this space my heart is used to
taking up with just any random
invertebrate or rodent.

So I’ll pull my hat down lower
to cover up the howling of the wind,

go inside where my tea waits for me,
and come back to this place
when the crocus is ready for me.




Liner Notes for This Groove: This poem is linked to Poets and Storyteller United's Friday Writings, Feast or Famine. 

20 comments:

  1. I love the image of our ribcage as a serviceable cathedral and understand you not wanting to open yourself up to share it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That image stuck with me too. And like you, Colleen, I totally get it. Some spaces are just... ours.

      Delete
    2. I loved the heavy lifting that image did when I wrote it down. So many interesting thoughts suggested themselves when I pictured it, from twee to macabre, which really does describe the inner landscape of my heart quite well sometimes. :D

      Delete
  2. Love the image of your ribcage cathedral for mousely vows! And I understand your longing for crocuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been the looooooongest January ever.

      Delete
  3. Winter is good at playing mind-games, at making us yearn for warmer things (unless one is Kit, that is). It is wise to acknowledge that, as well as the fact that there will be crocuses... eventually. And, for now, tea is yummy (maybe even flowery, if one wishes it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kit was a very delighted doggo this morning with all the snow. I am grateful for the existence of long underwear.

      Delete
  4. It won't be long now! Enjoyed your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh imagine what a cool sight that would be though! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I knew you'd find it as cute/ cool as I did

      Delete
  6. Purple fingers of newborn crocus is such a perfect image. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great writing, Rommy!! Will never think of my rib cage in quite the same way ….

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have missed feeling your writings. Note to self "must remember Tea time with Rommy" XXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. "My ribcage could be
    a serviceable cathedral

    for mousely vows"

    What a great description! I'm with you on the crocus.

    ReplyDelete