Anne-Girl

I hated my hair
when I was little. Like you,
I tried to daydream it away
along with other awkward realities.

Irrepressible Anne-girl, I too was
more at home protected by fancies

spun from the scent of lilacs,
storms of cherry blossoms,
and iris leaf swords.

We both grasped for the words
true enough to make sense
of the world’s horror and wonder,

and made up fairy tales
sturdy enough to nourish
all our explosions
of feeling and imagination.

Megan Follows from the 80's Anne of Green Gables mini-series


Liner Notes for this Groove: This poem was created for the Friday Writings prompt at Poets and Storytellers United, Beloved Books. I chose to write about Anne of Green Gables. 

11 comments:

  1. When I was 10 years old, Anne of Green Gables was my favourite book. A friend and I used to act out scenes from it. I had such a crush on my friend I even let her be Anne and I played second banana Diana. Usually I was second banana to NO ONE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a high honor indeed! LOL, I can only think of a handful I would fight as a kid to play her part.

      Delete
  2. What girl-child hasn't had dear Anne as a favourite? That first wonderful book above all, also the sequels. And the affection remains long after childhood; in fact never dies. (I enjoyed that TV series, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are magic indeed. I loved reading it to my kids. I also had to get the DVDs of the old Megan Follows mini-series. Anne with an E was a good series too, even though it took some departures from the source material (some I really enjoyed, others made me giggle).

      Delete
  3. It's always interesting to see/learn that things we hated about ourselves as children, are the very same things that make us unique and beautiful. This is a brilliant response to the prompt, Rommy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I identified hard with Anne as a fellow over-imaginative, loquacious, outcast. Reading about her growing up and making the most of her quirks was a comfort.

      Delete
  4. I was introduced to Anne with an e in fifth grade. She gave me a sense of wonder, hope, and moving forward through any horror.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved that book! It's a clever person who can make quirks feel like comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem embodies one of the things I value most about a good book: we find pieces of us in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her two poems from the movie were my favourites as a child and I also lived in a daydream! I still want to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much love for this. I too was enamored of and connected to her.

    ReplyDelete