Who Can Think of Spring?

I often think about the still-born spring, three years ago, when it seemed like nothing would ever grow again—not even in our woods. The woods were lost girl met lost girl, years and years ago. We decided that it was safest to believe in magic to find the way through. We lifted moss-colored words from the banks of our creek to line our path and tucked stories into trees. 

I wonder if the trees notice you are gone, when I go to pick up scraps of memories caught in the brambles by the creek. I wonder what the creek thinks when I try to weave those scraps into something recognizable, something that makes sense. Spring green should not be the color of grief, but even now, in the spaces where growth is undeniable, spring always arrives late for me. 

 

who can think of spring
while grieving the one flower
that will not grow back




Song choice: Gavi's Song by Lindsey Stirling

Liner notes for this Groove: This poem is linked to Poets and Storyteller United's Friday Writings Prompt, In Memoriam.

19 comments:

  1. Beautifully written..." Spring green should not be the color of grief, but even now, in the spaces where growth is undeniable, spring always arrives late for me. " - some grief is just endless.... So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck finding her. She hardly ever comes here but most time I can go north, like to New Englanf. Most years she comes there. Or pull your hair and knock on wood, she will return now and then.
    Thank you for the prompt and for hosting this week.
    Jim,
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grief – the measure, and the price of love. It never leaves, but the memories become less anguished and more cherished as our own years pass.

    This is such a beautiful, delicate write, leaving me in (gentle) tears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a beautiful Haibun So many lines to love like 'We lifted moss-colored words from the banks of our creek to line our path and 'tucked stories into trees.' and I love 'pick up scraps of memories caught in the brambles by the creek' I think with every change there is a gain and a loss

    ReplyDelete
  5. the above is from Marja from dutchcorner. (problems with blogger)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful words Rommy. Your Haibun brought tears to my eyes as sadness momentarily overwhelmed me. So sorry for you loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enchantingly written. Lost girl meets lost girl meets empathy and magic. It's a combination that can't be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely words and very heart felt. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is good writing. Now I know what a Haibun should be. And nicely finished with haiku, which always addresses nature and grief best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my heart, this is beautiful and crushing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From grief comes beauty.

    Priscilla King (PK)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this is so beautifully written. I wonder if the woods grief with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful description of grief !....Rall

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved your haibun. Sharing with my haiku group.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "We lifted moss-colored words from the banks of our creek to line our path and tucked stories into trees. "

    I love that line!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The haiku hits a soft and yet to heal spot... A moving and beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete