That Last Morning

That last morning, you woke me up when the light from the alarm clock was brighter than the sky outside. It didn’t bother me because I knew the clock had been winding down since January of last year, when I prayed that you’d see one last snow fall. You got your snow. You got your week by the sea. You played with the children you loved. Earlier this week you even got steak. So when I heard you whimper during the morning shift (Dad always takes the night shift) I lay down next to you. I rubbed your back until you felt better. And together we watched the sky lighten, waiting for Dad to get up and so we could that last morning walk together. 


On that last morning
your pain finally left you.
My pain is lessened
knowing that we gave you these gifts—
a full life, a gentle end.

Kit, looking dapper


Song Choice: Cracker Jack by Dolly Parton


Liner Notes for This Groove: This poem is linked to the Friday Writings Prompt at Poets and Storytellers United. It was written for my sweet boy Kit, who crossed the rainbow bridge last Friday. I am grateful that our whole family was able to be in the room when it was time to say goodbye.

22 comments:

  1. I am in tears, of course. I know this kind of experience so well. And yes, what matters is the love and care so well given and returned by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see I'm Anon. Actually I'm Rosemary.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Rosemary. Sorry it took so long to respond. It's been a very draining week.

      Delete
  2. So sorry... this is such a moving, heartbreaking piece full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about Kit, my condolences. You have written a beautiful and moving tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. My family is pretty devastated right now.

      Delete
  4. Lovely poem that captures your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow you gave us eloquence in the face of [your] sadness. A beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  6. Google knows very well who I am, and I'm logged in--they're only being tiresome about cookies being blocked.

    Anyway, I'm sorry your dog grew old and died, but at least youall gave him all you could of all he wanted at the end. ((empathy hug))

    PriscillaKing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me why I am having the same problem....it is because I disallowed cookies.....Rall

      Delete
    2. @Priscilla I'm glad he got to grow old as opposed to dying young. But he will be missed all the same.

      @Rall yes the cookies are irritating.

      Delete
  7. Terribly sad....it's hard....don't think you ever get over it...Lovely tribute !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still miss my first corgi, Faye. But I'd like to think she gave Kit a warm welcome when he arrived on her side of the rainbow bridge.

      Delete
  8. Bittersweetness on steroids. I feel (and share) the anguish. RIP (and in fun snow piles) sweet Kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope there's plenty of snow to roll around in on the other side of the rainbow bridge.

      Delete