Sing a Song of Giants

Sing a song of giants
in a land far, far away.
Tell a tale of magic
to keep despair at bay.

Whistle an adventuring tune
as you begin your trip.
Wander an ancient desert.
Try to give your shadow the slip.

Gather odds and ends of myth.
Plant the bits you love the best.
Weave the remainder into a quilt
to wrap around you as you rest.

King, from the animated series, Owl House


Song Choice: Owl House LoFi 

Liner Notes For This Groove: This poem was written in honor of one of the regulars at the local writers' group I frequent, Tyler Simanski. He passed away some time late last Friday. Tyler was a fantasy writer too. Sometimes he and I would talk about our favorite cartoons, including Owl House. He will be missed by me and all the other members of the Bucks Country Writer's Room.

27 comments:

  1. Sorry for the loss of your writer friend. What a lovely tribute poem you have written in his honour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute- your words flow effortlessly and magnetically- Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem gives me a sense of him,. He must have been a delightful friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a sweet kid. It was always fun to talk fantasy tropes with him.

      Delete
  4. Weave the remainder into a quilt
    to wrap around you as you rest.

    Love that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your writing friend and what a lovely ode you have written

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to capture some of the whimsy he exhibited in his work.

      Delete
  6. You hit exactly the right note of compassion and spun magic in the face of an inconceivably horrid loss of a beautiful life cut far, far too short.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is lovely and so heart felt. Well done,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry for your loss. But it is so wonderful to make so many friends that we only know from our writing world. I've found them to be supportive and loving.
    I think he would have loved your poem written in his memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That anon was me. Sorry for not noticing before I hit reply. debi

      Delete
    2. It's always good to make supportive writing friends. I hope the piece would have made him smile.

      Delete
  9. Lyrical, beautiful and touching. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
    Your lovely poem could be used as a prologue for a fantasy tale. Or a video game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drew from elements in his fantasy writings to create it, so I am delighted it feels that way. He also liked video games quite a bit too.

      Delete
  11. I am so sorry you lost a friend and fellow writer .... he would love this! I do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You honor your friend with this delightful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's rare for light verse to form a suitable tribute to a lighthearted friend. This does. I'm impressed.

    Pris cilla King

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only borrowed motifs from his writing, but thank you.

      Delete