Miyazaki Heroine

I.                    Dragonfly

Your cheeky smile caught my eye from the start.
No, nothing like that.
It irked me.
Prodding me from my doubts and self-pity,
insisting I look at life and laugh
when I’d rather retreat.

Your smile won’t allow it.
Your faith in me is an utter surprise,
especially when I have no faith to spare.
You love the things that make me odd,
just when I start wishing I could be something else.
My smallest gifts are miracles in your eyes.

And even when I am tired,
and sure there is no more magic to be found,
I know that for you
for you, I’d find my faith again
and catch you wherever you are.

II.                  Dragon

This journey was unasked for.
Do not meddle in the affairs of kami;
their ways are strange,
and yours are the strangest of all.
Myth given form,
childhood story made real -
Oh no,
I never would have presumed to ask for this.

Silver silken ribbon,
you stand out in the night sky.
Are you lost too?
I am afraid I am not enough sometimes.
I understand only a fraction of the things here.
Everything sane left in me says to doubt you.
Perhaps I’ve been touched by your land too long,
because there’s more in me that says
you have always protected me.

And the only thing better
than being able to say your name,
your true name,
with no more fear and doubts of who you truly are,
is the sound of your voice
saying my true name
remembering,
and at last knowing who I truly am.

Song Choice: A selection of songs from Miyazaki films done on piano


This poem is for Magpie's Tales 288


37 comments:

  1. "This journey was unasked-for." True, but it was a remarkable journey nevertheless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many remarkable journeys start out that way

      Delete
  2. There are few things sweeter and more desired--even if in retrospect--than a "journey... unasked-for". I love this exchange, this progression, this fairy tale with its heart grown in real hearts.

    Beautiful language, Rommy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True - perhaps it was not asked for, but certainly desire, even if it's just to see what's around the bend, drives the journey.

      Delete
  3. the image and your words are intriguing and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be credited with the image. The picture prompt came from Magpie's Tales http://magpietales.blogspot.com/2015/10/mag-288.html You can find lots of other interpretations of the prompt there.

      Delete
  4. The poem was based on an old Twilight Zone movie, link included in post. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a journey to finding one's true identity...sometimes we just have to travel the road, or river and see where it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and sometimes it is a very unexpected or undesired one, especially if you are too content with the status quo. But it's always a worthwhile one.

      Delete
  6. Even when you are"... sure that there is no more magic to be found," much magic can still be found in your words. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The fairy tale like feel of the picture prompt was very inspiring.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful magic, and that togethness in the dreamscape.. Don't we always want that special company when dreaming,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good company is always a nice thing.

      Delete
    2. How wonderful to revisit your beautiful poem.. this was as magic as the first time.

      Delete
  8. Intensely personal and heartfelt, thanks , Kestril

    ReplyDelete
  9. My smallest gifts are miracles in your eyes.

    Lucky to have someone in your life who thinks you are so special. Nice poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kind of affection should never be taken for granted. :)

      Delete
  10. Your last stanza of "Dragon" about real names and how they are hidden, shared, forgotten, feared. Two lovely pieces with two very different feelings. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dragonfly is my favorite. It's really a love song. "My smallest gifts are miracles in your eyes." It's lovely how we can lift each other up out of the depths, just with words, with affection. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having someone believe in us is sometimes just the push we need to believe in ourselves. :)

      Delete
  12. That is so beautiful! When we find the one who treasures our authentic self, it certainly does feel like a dream from which we fear awakening. But I believe you must trust your dreams, or what's the point of being awake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think once we have that balance between dreams and waking, life can be very magical indeed.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful...the last 2 stanzas are just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Miyazaki's work is very inspiring.

      Delete
  14. I am a great fan of Miyazaki's films. You have captured the magic and whimsy so very well in these two portraits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grin* That is a high compliment! I'm a huge fan of his works.

      Delete
  15. Finding self is a journey with many unexpected turns....beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unexpected, but well worth the time to explore.

      Delete