Chemical

Dilated blood vessels
tint skin rosy hues.
Neurotransmitters spill out
to be cupped by awaiting receptors.

Breath comes quick now.
Adrenaline races perspiration,
leaving the stomach the loser.

That’s all this is.
The same way
e,i,l,o,o,v,u,y
are just nonsense, 
alphabetically speaking.


This poem was created from a prompt offered by Magaly Guerrero for NaPoWriMo (Day 28: A poem based on a Terry Pratchett quote). The Hogfather was my first introduction to Pratchett and this quote is the first one I think of when I think of Discworld. 

“WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HADN'T SAVED HIM?
"Yes! The sun would have risen just the same, yes?"
NO
"Oh, come on. You can't expect me to believe that. It's an astronomical fact."
THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.
...
"Really? Then what would have happened, pray?"
A MERE BALL OF FLAMING GAS WOULD HAVE ILLUMINATED THE WORLD.”
― Terry PratchettHogfather

10 comments:

  1. There is some very interesting use of language here. Nice things are happening in twisty ways.
    Good write, Rommely. (No, that's not a typo, I like the way it sounds. ;-p)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy squishy images are now dancing on my brain :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love your last stanza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is deliciously full of brains and heart, my beloved Rommy. You genius woman, you! I will reread this one often, and to my Piano Man, too. For it is true, without the bits the soul brings into the loving, the rest is just chemistry and biology doing their thing. And who would want to get up early to watch a burning ball of fire? ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soul is what adds poetry to the world, LOL so how can we not celebrate that on NaPoWriMo?

      I freaking love that Pratchett quote, so much so that one of my birthday indulgences was to get a hardcover copy of Hogfather. I'm going to be bouncing until it arrives.

      Delete